Respected Contributor

Re: Who Can Still Remember..........

@Cakers3 ~ I remember my childhood telephone number!

Our letters started with WE for Westmore.

Esteemed Contributor

I remember everything pictured.  Our phone number was 0794. No letters.

I remember Lilt, however, my Mom was a terror with Toni Home Perm.  I have the hilarious pictures to prove it.

Mom, what were you thinking?

Contributor

I LOVED these!  Good memories of fun times. 

I also remember the 5 & Dime stores.  I'd go with my Mom.  She'd go there to get her Dippity Doo pink gel and bobby pins to do her hair.  Then I'd get a few pennies to get some candy. ...days gone by... sigh....

Honored Contributor

No letters.  Mine was 36893. 

Esteemed Contributor

@BornToShop wrote:

How about the first cell phone over 40 years ago!!!

12D3D635-4B3C-4C19-AB00-C9603561ABA0.jpeg

I had a Motorola "bag phone" that plugged into your cigarette lighter spot and gave portable phone service.  195?  Yes, it worked quite well.  Didn't have internet back then, just portable phone service.

Image1.jpg

Honored Contributor

My dad had one of the first cell phones, if you can call it that. It was built into his car, and we called it the "car phone"!

Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily wrote:

MElrose 2****. I loved going to the dimestore. The one downtown had a soda fountain/lunch counter. I bought a lot of marbles, loops for making those potholders, bouncing balls, chalk for hopscotch, candy, etc.

@Desert Lily   Those potholders.  LOL  I think I made about 100.  I remember bags of those loops. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

I sure do remember our first phone number, although there wasn't a lettered prefix. I grew up in a small town in northern Iowa....our phone # was 565.....just 3 digits - probably the early 50s.

Esteemed Contributor

Still remember mine. Parents got it in 1956. | Childhood memories ...

I was a long distance operator when this was the case.  One night, a lady placed a call and gave me the 5 digit number she was calling (12345) and....as serious as could be, she told me, "Operator, you have to go through the "Townhall" there to get that number!  "Townhall 12345!"

Respected Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

Does anyone remember when you could go in the 5 and 10 and buy those little baby turtles and they put them in a carton for you to take home?

They had birds and fish also.

After those I had to run to the Barbie aisle to see if any new clothes came in.

hi, @Mersha   yes my sister and i had a number of those baby turtles. one of them died and we held a funeral for him. he was given a proper burial. we used a glass pickle jar for the casket.   the last two ran away when we cleaned out their washtub "home" out in the backyard. we looked high and low for them. i imagine they escaped to the swamp behind our neighborhood.   i guess they were banned from sales in 1975 die to salmonella. some children got sick.