Honored Contributor

Re: White out driving home, went off the road

@Shorty2U, I'm glad everyone got home safely, and we had similiar weather here too. We only went out yesterday because we had to go to the dog groomer and pick up something at the library. Fog's been bad but then that wind was whipping up the snow. By that time, we were all snug inside. (I don't care for the word "hunkered" so I won't use it). I think it would fit though.

Esteemed Contributor

I was in a white out ONE tme and that was it for me.....I won't drive if I know there is a good chance of one coming. I was on the highway and didn't even know if I was on the road!!

Freezing rain and sleet is another thing I avoid if possible

Glad you are Ok!!

Esteemed Contributor

I just saw the pictures from a multiple car and truck accident in Indiana. Scary! At least no one was seriously injured. I have driven 35 miles home on the interstate in a raging blizzard, all because my large Golden was home alone with no one to let him out. I sang Jesus Take the Wheel the whole way.  I made it safely and treated myself to a very large glass of wine upon arrival. 

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Respected Contributor

Never fun.   I've been in a few but not for years thankfully.  I've always tried to follow the lights ahead of me and hope they're not going into the ditch.

It's never safe to stop especially on a highway, the guy behind you may rear end you.  

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

@Shorty2U   Driving in those conditions is scary.  Glad you arrived home safe and sound. 
Please (you and everyone else ) give your location (state) when talking about the weather.   It would help to know if these extreme conditions are near me or other readers.  I am in NJ. 

Respected Contributor

@shoekitty

Driving in dense fog had to have been one of the most terrifying experiences I ever had.  

Driving home late one night I hit a pocket of it.  I was on a familiar country road only about 5 miles from home.  Had my head out the window and still could barely see.  Got so disoriented I got nauseated.  Honestely, I don't know how I managed to get home without running into a ditch or knocking down someone's mailbox.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for all the replies and kind words. I am glad everything turned out ok for everyone.

Yes I forgot to say we live in PA. I thought we should have waited at the restaurant when we came out and saw how bad it was. But today I was glad we didn't, because according to the newspaper, not long after we were home (the paper article said) ice formed and there were multiple accidents and some roads were shut down for hours.

And I agree I don't like fog either. One time when I was younger my family and I were driving from my brothers on a major highway and couldn't see due to fog. We hoped and prayed no one would come off the exit ramps or we wouldn't have seen them. We made it home safe that night too but it took us 3 hours to get home. (which usually took 1 hour from where my brother lived at the time).

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles