Esteemed Contributor

Re: White House Christmas Decorations

@butterfly123 

I have been fortunate enough to see the White House at Christmas two times in my life.  Was working there, so we got a preview.

Just beautiful...the rooms are breathtaking as is, but with all the decorations, it's stunning.

Doubt I'll ever get back (even though I live in the area), so each year, it is fun to see how they transform it for the holiday.

Honored Contributor

@MorningLover wrote:

White stars cast celestial shadows across the glowing white East Colonnade.

white house christmas

Along the sides of the hall stand acrylic panels showing off some of the country's largest landmarks as "a timeline of American design, innovation, and architecture."

cities

I LOVE these!  Very different and visually stunning!

A little off topic....Many years ago I worked in a custom frame shop.  We had a customer recieve (this was in the 1990s so you know who the president was) an official White House holiday/Christmas card.  We framed it & was fun to see!

Honored Contributor

Weird and not cozy or family friendly at all. Not welcoming. Sure, an improvement over the dead trees, and the bloody-looking trees of the previous two years. But still not my style in the slightest. I don't vibe with a cold, unfriendly aesthetic for Christmas. I prefer traditional.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I loved the Advent calender, such a delicate touch, and a reminder  for many ,of what this season is for us

Respected Contributor

Respected Contributor

Posting footage from the stunning decor online, the first lady wrote: '"The Spirit of America" is shining in the @WhiteHouse!'

Stunning images from inside the White House show this year's festive display. Melania wrote of the decorations: 'I am delighted to share this beautiful exhibit of patriotism for all to see, and excited for everyone to experience the beauty of the #Christmas season!'

Melania and her staff put in months of work - planning for this year's began early in the summer - on the decorations, pictured, that will fill the public reception rooms at the White House for the holidays

Footage from inside the White House shows at least one hallway is lined with white suspended snowflakes, pictured

The first family had earlier arrived home to the White House and Melania, who designs the holiday theme, appeared to be in the same outfit, teamed with tan knee high boots. Flowers on display in the White House are pictured

The first lady was filmed adding the final touches to the patriotic display, dubbed 'The Spirit of America'

The festive display includes red and gold ornaments with fairy lights, pictured

As per other years Melania skipped the traditional press preview of the decorations, and instead tweeted a nearly one-minute-long video of herself walking through the rooms, including this one

Red, blue and white plays heavily in the patriotic display. Twitter users last year poked fun at the red trees on display comparing them to the red robes in The Handmaid's Tale

'The President and First Lady host dozens of events over the holiday season to include the delivery of the Christmas tree, Thanksgiving turkey pardon, special holiday tours for the public, and many holiday parties for military families, children, friends, White House staff, and the United States Secret Service,' White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham said

On Saturday the first lady tweeted to thank the volunteers 'hard at work' at the White House while she enjoyed Thanksgiving

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The combination of that video and the stills is quite dazzling.  I especially liked the glimpse we got of the Green Room:

In looking for an image of it, I found that the Green Room is on the official 2019 White House ornament this year.

Have always liked the glowing, velvety vibe of that room, and remember it still from the extremely quick glimpse I got when touring the White House as a child.

Edited to add--  Oops, I hadn't seen that you had already shown this room in additional stills, @MorningLover!  Sorry for the repetition.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

While the family was away for Thanksgiving, the White House army of volunteer decorators, florists and others from across the country worked throughout the holiday weekend to transform the 132-room mansion for Christmas, pictured

One image posted by Melania on Saturday shows a volunteer placing ornaments on a Christmas tree

Melania tweeted Saturday: 'Volunteers are hard at work at the @WhiteHouse. Thank you to all who came all across our great nation to decorate the People's House. Looking forward to view it tomorrow evening! #ChristmasWhiteHouse'

On Saturday The White House wrote: 'Each year, the White House is decorated for Christmas by a team of dedicated volunteers! The White House Christmas decorations, carefully selected by @FLOTUS, will be on display beginning soon!'

Athens woman helps decorate White House for Christmas

A gift of chocolate kisses was given out during the preview on Monday

Honored Contributor

I don't see any text or pictures in the first post.  It was edited by a mod for some reason.

Respected Contributor

many thanks to all the volunteers that make this happen. i think the job done this year is exceedingly festive and beautiful.