Honored Contributor

Re: White House Christmas Decorations

@haddon9 -

I received one once too from President ClintonSmiley Happy

I think its because I wrote him a letter saying how would he feel if Chelsea had to go off to Desert Storm?!

My son't unit was about to be deployed asap!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

The indisputable centerpiece of the Christmas display sits quietly in the center of the back wall of the East Room.

Bordered by two evergreen trees is a 300-year-old crèche, a carved wood and terra cotta creation from Naples, Italy.

2019 White House Christmas Decorations

Related image

The colorful nativity set was first loaned to the White House during the Kennedy administration by Jane Engelhard, the widow of husband Charles, an American businessman who enjoyed great success in international mining and metals.

The crèche became the official property of the White House in 1967 during the Johnson administration when the family announced the loan had become a gift.

The Engelhard family searched for years for it and donated additional pieces in 1978. It’s hand-carved and one of a kind. It’s been displayed annually ever since.

Respected Contributor

I watched the HGTV show yesterday and was so proud to see such patriotism on display.  Loved all the displays of color themes, and was so interesting how they recycled the cranberry trees from last year.  So much work involved in all this, and everyone involved seem to be so happy doing it. 

Honored Contributor

What a stunning, 300 year old nativity to be donated to the White House, @MorningLover --  beautiful.

Honored Contributor

Watched last night and thought every room looked amazing.