Esteemed Contributor

Re: Which would you choose regarding MB shower? ROP

I would choose the molded plastic shower.  Less maintenance and to clean, just steam

clean it 'cause using cleaning liquids will just gunk it up.  A tile shower is a much harder surface to keep clean.

So in the long run you'll save time, problems and money.

Esteemed Contributor

Forgot to mention tile is out nowadays.  

Even the new kitchen backsplashes have switched to smooth-service products - you can probably see samples online from various companies.

Respected Contributor

I would choose tile option, selecting large tiles that make cleaning easier.  It will look neat and clean but updated.  The plastic pieces are easy to clean but tend to sound cheap and not solid.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@eddyandme wrote:

Forgot to mention tile is out nowadays.  

Even the new kitchen backsplashes have switched to smooth-service products - you can probably see samples online from various companies.

@eddyandme  maybe tiles are out where you are but not here in Atlanta.

I have been in so many new builts looking to see what's happening because we flip houses and that gives us many ideas.

If you say small tiles are out, that could be true. Porcelain and ceramic large tiles are still going strong and they are done from floor to ceiling.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

#2 for sure!

we recently remodeled bathrooms in our 2nd home at the beach and did almost exactly what you described in those bathrooms. they were about 40 years old with no major remodeling done to them. then we did a major remodel and removed the bathtubs and went with showers and more for both. have not regretted it.

beautiful tiles are not out at all here in our area.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

For my own baths, I'd want the tiles.

For a rental, I'd hope that occupants would take care with keeping clean and using bathroom ventilation as so needed.

Respected Contributor

@FiddleDeeDeeTile sounds like the better option but have you considered porcelain over ceramic tile?  Worlds of difference in looks and durability.

Trusted Contributor

@rockygems123 wrote:

@FiddleDeeDeeTile sounds like the better option but have you considered porcelain over ceramic tile?  Worlds of difference in looks and durability.

@rockygems123  Honestly, I believe they are porcelain tiles. I just call them tiles because they're tiles, lol. When he redid our 3 bathrooms in another house, he used porcelain tiles. He pulled in a much more modern look (one that I would never have chosen for my own home but again, it was a rental) and the feedback was how everyone viewing the home LOVED how modern/updated it was. He was an architect in his native country but language barrier and education requirements here prevent him from doing his craft; he decided to become a contractor/remodel work and let me tell ya, the skill and quality.....over the top!  Since this house is far more traditional, we're going to keep it simple and white. 

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Trusted Contributor

I thank ALL OF YOU for responding; I truly do. I posted this same question on another forum and the overwhelming vote was for the plastic insert shower. Here, it's for the tiles. I am still not sure which way to go on this though both forums have made great points supporting either choice. 

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

I would go with 2, however, it's not necessary to tile the shower walls completely to the ceiling of the shower.