Trusted Contributor

Which would you choose regarding MB shower? ROP

Yes, I know this isn't the HOME forum but this is usually where I hang out AND you advice-wise, you all are pretty good so....

My parents home is being turned into a rental. The MB has a large shower, all ceramic. There is a small leak. It's the original everything in perfect condition save this small leak which is at the base of the shower, near the shower pan.  The home is 60 years old, a center hall colonial that they took very good care of until their deaths.  My contractor went in and here are the recommendations:

1) Take the shower down to the studs and rebuild using 3 panels of molded plastic walls and pan, new metal features, paint and done.

2) Take the shower down to the studs and rebuild using new water/mold resistant drywall, rebuild to ceiling with all new ceramic and a ceramic tile floor, new metal features, paint and done.

There is a price difference; first is $4000, second is $6000 (going rate, not disputing the cost). Which would you choose and why? Other bathrooms are all ceramic, if that matters.  I'm having other work done but for some reason, this is proving to be a difficult choice. TIA!

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

Re: Which would you choose regarding MB shower? ROP

#2  IMO, ceramic tile is more durable and attractive than the "plastic" walls. I had fiberglass in the MB of a previous house and it did not hold up well.

I also like the idea of the tile going all the way to the ceiling.

Good luck!

Respected Contributor

I would chose the second at a cost of 6,000.00.  It is consistent with the previous construction of the shower.  Since your parents took such pride in their home, why cheapen it with using plastic. 

Normally the plastic is a drop in with inserts for the soap. shelf, etc.  It would stand out like a sore thumb and would be very obvious that this was the less expensive option. 

Honored Contributor

@Somertime wrote:

I would chose the second at a cost of 6,000.00.  It is consistent with the previous construction of the shower.  Since your parents took such pride in their home, why cheapen it with using plastic. 

Normally the plastic is a drop in with inserts for the soap. shelf, etc.  It would stand out like a sore thumb and would be very obvious that this was the less expensive option. 

go with the ceramic tile, if you decide to sell in a couple of years will look better. and could be more appealing to potential renters who might buy

Honored Contributor

Personally, I'd choose #1 for the simple reason:  easier to keep clean.  

Respected Contributor

I would choose a tile shower,but I would get more estimates. Unless it is a huge shower the price sounds too high. 

Trusted Contributor

@Janey2 wrote:

I would choose a tile shower,but I would get more estimates. Unless it is a huge shower the price sounds too high. 

@Janey2  I have and his price is right where it should be for the area. I'll add in that the quality of his work is excellent; I'll gladly pay for that. 

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

I would go with ceramic tile walls, but choose a non-slip molded pan option for the shower floor.   This is what we did in August when we removed the tub from our main bath.  

Those vinyl shower surrounds look cheap, they don't age well, they crack, chip, scratch and stain in time.  The $2000 price difference will also mean a big difference in buyer interest in the house, period.  No one buying a house wants anything that looks CHEAP in the master bath.  

Esteemed Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

Yes, I know this isn't the HOME forum but this is usually where I hang out AND you advice-wise, you all are pretty good so....

My parents home is being turned into a rental. The MB has a large shower, all ceramic. There is a small leak. It's the original everything in perfect condition save this small leak which is at the base of the shower, near the shower pan.  The home is 60 years old, a center hall colonial that they took very good care of until their deaths.  My contractor went in and here are the recommendations:

1) Take the shower down to the studs and rebuild using 3 panels of molded plastic walls and pan, new metal features, paint and done.

2) Take the shower down to the studs and rebuild using new water/mold resistant drywall, rebuild to ceiling with all new ceramic and a ceramic tile floor, new metal features, paint and done.

There is a price difference; first is $4000, second is $6000 (going rate, not disputing the cost). Which would you choose and why? Other bathrooms are all ceramic, if that matters.  I'm having other work done but for some reason, this is proving to be a difficult choice. TIA!

@FiddleDeeDee  #2 for sure. You can check out the large ceramic tiles (12X24) or something like that. Ceramic makes it looks so much better and people prefer that.

If there is a door involved, avoid the sliding doors. To me they are too much of a problem.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would choose #2 since it will look better and hold up longer. $6000 sound super cheap compared to the estimates I have been getting lately to do a tub to shower conversion. $23k is the lowest I have found. I don't think the plastic enclosures last and they do look cheap. The newest ceramic tile look right now is the picket fence or scalloped patterns. There are lots of new looks in ceramic tile. DS just did four bathrooms in her new home and she did picket fence for the basin backsplash and scallop for one shower and one full bath surround. Gorgeous.