Esteemed Contributor

Re: Which is worse a hurricane or a tornado

When you say which is worse, it is hard to determine what you mean.

In terms of affecting more people I think that would be a hurricane. A tornado can touch down in a town and completely miss some and not others whereas a hurricane usually would affect a lot more. In terms of financial damage, I would think that would also be a hurricane.

I think a tornado is much more powerful though. I have never seen a hurricane lift a semi truck and throw it hundreds of feet but a tornado can.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

I have been in a tornado and you can go to the basement to take cover.

In a hurricane, you have the high winds and water, no where to go to be safe.

Honored Contributor

@Pooky1 wrote:

i would say a tornado.because you get no notice and they can flatten hugh areas in no time at all.

@Pooky1 I live in tornado alley and we have wonderful warning systems.

Very rarely we lose power and we are always prepared.

Honored Contributor

@straykatz wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

@cherry wrote:

The noise during a hurricane must really be draining hour after hour

@cherry  Yes it is.  It's the worse part actually.  I will tell you I remember finally going outside the next day and just me and other people walking around in silence like zombies looking in awe at the mess.  We were all in shock for about a day or so and not really back to normal until a few weeks later when everything looked the way it was supposed to again.       

@Laura14 this reminds me of what happened about five years ago.

Many years ago we used to experience regular tornado warnings as it was at a time when farmer's were selling their lands and subdivisions were going in so there was still a lot of open space for tornadoes to start spinning.  We only actually had one touch down close to our house and would have had no damage if my brother hadn't opened the garage door to put his car into the garage (vacuum blew out the windows).

As time has gone on, no worries about tornadoes.  There were the usual severe storm warnings you receive during the summer months and didn't think much of it as I had my eye on the weather outside.  All of a sudden my Chloe looked up at me from her bed with this "WTH?" look on her face and about five seconds after that all heck broke loose.  Anything of the plant variety was literally bending at a 90 degree angle and I couldn't see out the window from the rain . . . I grabbed Chloe and ran downstairs.  It was all over in probably 60 seconds and afterward it was like nothing happened in terms of the weather as it was completely calm.

My yard was devastated and it was only my yard (I later found out it was something called a microburst).  All of my neighbors came out and we all just stood there with our jaws dropped because we couldn't believe what had happened and in such a contained area.  It was the most intense thing I had ever seen in my life and will never forget it.

Good thoughts and prayers that are still in the path of Matthew . . . Heart

/waving hi to mtc

That sounds eerie and freaky...I've never heard of a microburst....I can see why you owuld never forget it.  

Waving hi back @straykatz! . . . it was the weirdest thing I ever saw . . . one minute everything is fine and the next minute everything is complete and utter chaos . . . thank goodness I am quick on my feet as my initial response to the whole thing was to close the drapes . . . yeah, that'll do it . . . tee hee!

And then I scooped up Chloe and headed for the basement.  Oy,

Honored Contributor

I also want to add that we live in the country but watch the weather when it is bad.

There is plenty of time to take cover. Our cell phones also give alerts during the night.

And we don't have to leave our home.

Respected Contributor

I'd have to say which ever one does the most damage at the time!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

Whichever one I am in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Esteemed Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

Tornadoes occur more frequently than hurricanes and tornadoes are worse than hurricanes.  The winds of a Tornado can reach up to 200 mph, while a hurricane's winds top out at about 145 for a category 4 or 5 hurricane.

@itiswhatitis - You are only comparing the wind. There is so much more. 

Really, as already mentioned, both can be dangerous and deadly but they are different. Can't really compact them.

Not trying to compact them!  Just trying to an answer to a question about the matter.  Actually this question will be answered based on who you ask.  From what I've read, Tornadoes do more damage than hurricanes @willdob3.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would say hurricanes are lots worse than a tornado.

Both are equal as it's happening, but the aftermath

is what separates the two.

Hurricanes have all that standing water & flooding to

deal with days...even weeks...after the fact....IF the weather

pattern doesn't continually cause tons of rain after the hurricane has

passed.  Blue skies & sunshine but yet you're standing in

2ft of water.   Then the mold.  Then the possibility of 

slithery critters.  And just the humidity.  

Plus...even if hurricanes & tornadoes are equal in force,

hurricanes can project the same amount of force along

an entire state line.  It's like lots & lots of tornadoes over

a much larger mass. 

Here in Texas we had that F5 tornado that literally

flattened a town in Jasper in 1997...even knowing that,

I would still say hurricanes are much worse.