Honored Contributor

Re: Which is worse a hurricane or a tornado

I think it's comparing apples and oranges.

And how you define "worse".

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've seen the destruction and devastation from hurricanes and tornadoes. Both will wipe out whatever is in their path. 

Hurricanes give warning. Tornadoes give little, especially at night. Unless the meteorologists see a long range forecast that give an indication of "just right conditions," it is hard to predict a tornado. 

April, 2011, an EF5 tornado hit my area and bounced around our state killing many and literally blowing communities, towns and cities to smithereens. 

Hurricanes cause the same damage. Ask a person that has lived through one or the other. Each will have a different answer. 

Be still, and know.
Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@cherry wrote:

The noise during a hurricane must really be draining hour after hour

@cherry  Yes it is.  It's the worse part actually.  I will tell you I remember finally going outside the next day and just me and other people walking around in silence like zombies looking in awe at the mess.  We were all in shock for about a day or so and not really back to normal until a few weeks later when everything looked the way it was supposed to again.       

@Laura14 this reminds me of what happened about five years ago.

Many years ago we used to experience regular tornado warnings as it was at a time when farmer's were selling their lands and subdivisions were going in so there was still a lot of open space for tornadoes to start spinning.  We only actually had one touch down close to our house and would have had no damage if my brother hadn't opened the garage door to put his car into the garage (vacuum blew out the windows).

As time has gone on, no worries about tornadoes.  There were the usual severe storm warnings you receive during the summer months and didn't think much of it as I had my eye on the weather outside.  All of a sudden my Chloe looked up at me from her bed with this "WTH?" look on her face and about five seconds after that all heck broke loose.  Anything of the plant variety was literally bending at a 90 degree angle and I couldn't see out the window from the rain . . . I grabbed Chloe and ran downstairs.  It was all over in probably 60 seconds and afterward it was like nothing happened in terms of the weather as it was completely calm.

My yard was devastated and it was only my yard (I later found out it was something called a microburst).  All of my neighbors came out and we all just stood there with our jaws dropped because we couldn't believe what had happened and in such a contained area.  It was the most intense thing I had ever seen in my life and will never forget it.

Good thoughts and prayers that are still in the path of Matthew . . . Heart

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe  Those are wild aren't they?  We had one go over our parking lot at work several years ago and it literally lifted the huge metal gate off of its hinges and tossed it.  Not sure we could have done that ourselves with all the guys helping.

I'm so glad you came through it.  Mother Nature is nothing to play with.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@momtochloe  Those are wild aren't they?  We had one go over our parking lot at work several years ago and it literally lifted the huge metal gate off of its hinges and tossed it.  Not sure we could have done that ourselves with all the guys helping.

I'm so glad you came through it.  Mother Nature is nothing to play with.  Smiley Happy

Oh I know @Laura14, it was literally one of the most amazing things I had ever seen.  I think if I had been alone I would have just stood there like a dope and watched the whole thing but I didn't want anything to happen to my beloved Chloe.

It took out 1/3 of a tree and luckily a couple of my neighbors came over to help me cut up and pull the debris to the curb as I had 24 hours for the town to come and collect the clean up.  That's amazing that one of those things can toss around a huge metal gate like that . . . as you said, it's not nice to mess with Mother Nature! . . . Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@momtochloe  OMG!  That's when you start wondering if you're really living right or if it's time to clean up your act because God has had just about enough of you.  Smiley Wink   

Glad you and Chloe are okay!  I remember being in the basement with my doggy too.  Heart

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe

Chloe Pup...You miss her, yes?

I miss my Sid Kitty, as well. 😢

Good memories, though. 💛

Respected Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

@cherry wrote:

The noise during a hurricane must really be draining hour after hour

@cherry  Yes it is.  It's the worse part actually.  I will tell you I remember finally going outside the next day and just me and other people walking around in silence like zombies looking in awe at the mess.  We were all in shock for about a day or so and not really back to normal until a few weeks later when everything looked the way it was supposed to again.       

@Laura14 this reminds me of what happened about five years ago.

Many years ago we used to experience regular tornado warnings as it was at a time when farmer's were selling their lands and subdivisions were going in so there was still a lot of open space for tornadoes to start spinning.  We only actually had one touch down close to our house and would have had no damage if my brother hadn't opened the garage door to put his car into the garage (vacuum blew out the windows).

As time has gone on, no worries about tornadoes.  There were the usual severe storm warnings you receive during the summer months and didn't think much of it as I had my eye on the weather outside.  All of a sudden my Chloe looked up at me from her bed with this "WTH?" look on her face and about five seconds after that all heck broke loose.  Anything of the plant variety was literally bending at a 90 degree angle and I couldn't see out the window from the rain . . . I grabbed Chloe and ran downstairs.  It was all over in probably 60 seconds and afterward it was like nothing happened in terms of the weather as it was completely calm.

My yard was devastated and it was only my yard (I later found out it was something called a microburst).  All of my neighbors came out and we all just stood there with our jaws dropped because we couldn't believe what had happened and in such a contained area.  It was the most intense thing I had ever seen in my life and will never forget it.

Good thoughts and prayers that are still in the path of Matthew . . . Heart

/waving hi to mtc

That sounds eerie and freaky...I've never heard of a microburst....I can see why you owuld never forget it.  

Frequent Contributor

No experience with a tornado, however we got hit with a hurricane in Miami in the 1950's. 

We didn't have all the technology back then. Today, TG, people have a chance to prepare for a hurricaine.

I don't think you can compare the two, but I would not want to find out. A tornado seems more horrific.

"God created memories so that we might have roses in December." - Italo Svevo
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@momtochloe

Chloe Pup...You miss her, yes?

I miss my Sid Kitty, as well. 😢

Good memories, though. 💛

Oh @sidsmom more than I can say.  There are days I still can't believe she's gone.  Sigh.

Big hugs to you as I know you miss your Sid Kitty the same way . . . Heart