Respected Contributor

Re: Which is worse a hurricane or a tornado

Tornado is the worse...no warning...or I should say little to no warning.   And in many cases taking cover may not save you.  Houses have been rippid off their foundations and shattered......cars, trucks, trailers lifted into the air and tosssed around like toys....we don't even have basements in my area...you simply get in a closet or bathtub and pray it does not hit your house.    

You don't have time to get in your car to go somewhere safe.    

Honored Contributor

Neither one is very pleasant, but tornadoes spin-off from hurricanes!  You get lots of warning early from proposed directions from hurricanes, but tornadoes can develop without much warning!

I have never actually been in either one, but have been in the winds & down trees and power outages from both, but no damage, thankfully!

Honored Contributor

(thread title)

Depends on which is heading your way. I have been through a tornado, but not a hurricane, and I saw and experienced some of the devastation, personally.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

Tornadoes occur more frequently than hurricanes and tornadoes are worse than hurricanes.  The winds of a Tornado can reach up to 200 mph, while a hurricane's winds top out at about 145 for a category 4 or 5 hurricane.

@itiswhatitis - You are only comparing the wind. There is so much more. 

Really, as already mentioned, both can be dangerous and deadly but they are different. Can't really compact them.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cherry wrote:

The noise during a hurricane must really be draining hour after hour

@cherry  Some people compare it to the sound of a train going through your home hour after hour.

We have cloth awnings on our home which are supposed to withstand up to 145 mph winds.   During the last hurricane we experienced in this house, the constant flapping sound of the awnings blowing in the wind hour after hour is an unpleasant reminder.  But they stayed attached to the house.

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@cherry wrote:

The noise during a hurricane must really be draining hour after hour

@cherry  Yes it is.  It's the worse part actually.  I will tell you I remember finally going outside the next day and just me and other people walking around in silence like zombies looking in awe at the mess.  We were all in shock for about a day or so and not really back to normal until a few weeks later when everything looked the way it was supposed to again.       

@Laura14 - I remember doing the same thing the morning after a hurricane.

And I recall the eerie calm that came when the eye of the storm was surrounding us.

Honored Contributor

Depends on the size of the hurrican or tornado.  An F4 or F5 can leave a neighborhood looking like the bottom of a gerbil cage, or an F1 or F2 might take the roof off the tool shed or barn.  A tornado can take one house--like it was never there--and leave one across the street with minor damage.

To shelter from a big tornado, you need to be underground.

We sat through a cat 1 or 2 hurricane in New Orleans and in Oklahoma people would say that was some storm we had last night.  You never know how bad it will be, if it will increase or decrease.  Depends on exactly where it hits, the tide at the time, etc.  

Where we live it isn't unusual for 40 or 50 mph wind gusts any time.  It's just another day around here, but people might complain a little more about the wind than usual.

Honored Contributor

If I had to pick, I'd say a tornado is worse only because of the lack of warning time that we now get with hurricanes.

Any weather event one can receive several days warning about allows one to get to safety and maybe even save some of their important things. This usually happens with hurricanes, but tornadoes often have very little or no waring time to get out of the path.

Valued Contributor

Well, I am here in Tampa amist Matthew. Tornadoes spin out of hurricanes, which makes them so deadly. So I would have to say tornadoes are worse. 

Valued Contributor

Tornado because the violence and the high winds.  The last hurricane I experienced "sprouted" tornadoes.  I felt pretty secure until we received the tornado warnings. Then, I was terrified. 

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela