Respected Contributor

Re: Which is worse a hurricane or a tornado

@ms traditional wrote:

tornadoes -  simply because you know a hurricane is coming and can leave.  tornadoes come on you in minutes -  scary!

At least with a hurricaine, you have time to evacuate.

That's not a luxury you have with a tornado.

Honored Contributor

The noise during a hurricane must really be draining hour after hour

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

The noise during a hurricane must really be draining hour after hour

@cherry  Yes it is.  It's the worse part actually.  I will tell you I remember finally going outside the next day and just me and other people walking around in silence like zombies looking in awe at the mess.  We were all in shock for about a day or so and not really back to normal until a few weeks later when everything looked the way it was supposed to again.       

Honored Contributor

I have no idea which is worse.  I've experienced hurricane as well as massive flooding, but never been closer than pictures to a tornado.

One thought on hurricane preparations -  most of the prep seems to be food and water and light so that you can survive until the responders can get power back to neighborhoods. 

I think that could be a huge issue with Matthew because the workers are going to be needed in such a huge range. During past storms I've watched the trucks roll into Florida from up the East Coast and getting power was still several days or in some cases weeks of work.  What will happen this time with so many areas included? 

One aspect of the post-hurricane week I lived through in Florida that surprised me:  I missed the power needed to electrify traffic signals more than I missed the A/C and refrig in my home.

Another -  I missed having power way more in the week after Superstorm Sandy than I did after Hurricane Francis even though the time was about the same.  The difference was that NY was really cold and grossly uncomfortable while Florida was sort of uncomfortable but bearable as long as you had coverage from the sun.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've never been in a tornado, but they are often the subjects of my nightmares .  .  .  just the look of them.

A hurricane is a huge tornado.  I've been through several of them in my lifetime.  They are dangerous and loud, last longer, cause more damage over a widespread area, etc. 

I don't know which is worse . . . all I know is I'm sure glad this one isn't coming to NJ!  My heart goes out to everyone down there.  I know five people who are all in the Cat 4 path of this storm, one actually lives on a barrier island.  They are all staying.  My ex's brother who is my age is going to stay home . . . he lives six miles from the Fort Lauderdale Airport.

ETA:  I just received a reply to my email from my friend (former babysitter for my girls, we have kept in touch all these years) . . . she's the one who lives on the barrier island (Flagler Beach).  She told me she is with her daughter and her family in Orlando, a bit west of her home on the Island.  She loves that home and I hope she doesn't lose it.  But mostly my thoughts are with her and her family . . . they are still within range of the storm.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

A tornado, you just never know where it will hit,saying that though i would not want to be near the ocean in a hurricane, i live in maine and many years ago,we had to board up windows, tape windows , because of one.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

It's true there is little notice for a tornado but the weather folks have done a great job in predicting the possibility of a tornado- extremely low pressure, mixing of cold & warm air and studying thunderstorms with the potential of spawning a tornado.   In the case of a tornado warning, I take cover until it's over.  Praying there will be no tornado.

Hurricanes give you a lot of warning but you almost always have to "bug out".   You know it's coming, you know the rain could cause flooding, trees down, power out.   it's going to happen

With a tornado warning, you could get lucky & no tornado forms.

Just writing about both gives me cold chills, I've experienced both.

Respected Contributor

I have been in both, I will take option 3......Neither.

In hurricanes you are dealing with water surges that you generally don't have in tornadoes. Both are deadly, avoid at all costs!

When they say evacuate or take cover, LISTEN and ACT.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

toronado - very little to no warning and horrific damage. Hurricane - usually several days warning and prep plus can evacuate. Still a lot of damage. Newer homes being built in hurricane prone areas are built to the 2002 Miami Dade standards. The roofs are strapped to the ground, hurricane proof glass windows, hurricane shutters for instance. Supposed to be able to withstand 250 MPH winds. Unfortunately, they are not flood proof. 

Valued Contributor

Most people are killed in hurricanes by the storm surge, which can be significant even if the winds aren't that high.  Tornados are unusual if they stay on the ground for more than five miles, and average about ten minutes.  I don't want to be in either, but I think hurricanes are a threat to far more people.