Respected Contributor

Which is scarier...the Queens-Midtown Tunnel, Holland Tunnel or Lincoln Tunnel

Please tell me your experiences.  Thank you.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Which is scarier...the Queens-Midtown Tunnel, Holland Tunnel or Lincoln Tunnel

[ Edited ]

@truffle wrote:

None of the above but I don't like the tunnel in Baltimore.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

Re: Which is scarier...the Queens-Midtown Tunnel, Holland Tunnel or Lincoln Tunnel

@JaneMarple wrote:

@truffle wrote:

None of the above but I don't like the tunnel in Baltimore.

Why? Please explain. Thank you. @JaneMarple

Honored Contributor

@truffle can't quite explain it but but I breath a sigh of relief when I exit.

Respected Contributor

@JaneMarple I believe I have a phobia and want to understand it and know if others do too.  I avoid tunnels yet have no real experience from them (that I remember). 

Honored Contributor

The tunnels that you first mentioned are familiar to me because I grew up in the NY/NJ area. I don't get a feeling of claustrophobia while traveling through them but I do remember the first several months after 9/11 of feeling quite anxious. The entire duration minus heavy traffic is only a few minutes, I do wish that the lighting in the Holland Tunnel was brighter however.

(Speaking of the Port Authority, anyone remember when it only cost a dollar to cross the Hudson River and ticket books?)

Respected Contributor

Also, I can't go through an underwater tunnel aquarium. Anyone ever been?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Tunnels don't bother me too much, although I do remember way back when I was in college and we were on wind ensemble tour to the east coast. Our bus got stuck in traffic in the Lincoln Tunnel and after a while the exhaust fumes were pretty noxious.

Landing at LaGuardia, that's a whole different story. Actually, anything to do with LaGuardia is pretty scary. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

all of the above. I take the train whenever possible.

Honored Contributor

i dont mind the tunnels in baltimore at all......maybe because i have driven in them often?

i think the bay bridge over the chesapeake is scarier than the tunnels......but it doesnt stop me. Smiley Happy

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein