Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Re: Which is scarier...the Queens-Midtown Tunnel, Holland Tunnel or Lincoln Tunnel

BART under the San Francisco Bay - now that will get the heart beating a little faster

Respected Contributor

Re: Which is scarier...the Queens-Midtown Tunnel, Holland Tunnel or Lincoln Tunnel

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@truffle wrote:

The thought of driving under a river makes me break out into a cold sweat or walking through an underwater aquarium. 

@truffle

Why?    There must be a reason ..... something happen as a child?

@Tinkrbl44 I wish I knew.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Alsee wrote:

BART under the San Francisco Bay - now that will get the heart beating a little faster

Oh yeah I could never do that.  @Alsee

Honored Contributor

@Alsee

I was in San Francisco when BART first opened.  The people I was with wanted to ride it to Oakland just for fun??  I sat and waited along with some seedy characters.

Respected Contributor

My first time scared the living daylights out of me. DH and I were driving from Long Island to Manhattan to have lunch in Chinatown. He asked me if I minded that we used the Brooklyn-Battery tunnel. In my mind back then, a tunnel was like a railroad underpass. We got going down into it and I freaked out, hiding my head till we got out. Later on we used the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel system and I was OK. Learning to deal with it was difficult for sure.

Honored Contributor

I would say the Brooklyn Battery. I was 3/4of the way thru in  a commuter bus on 9-11 when the first plane hit the Towers

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I live here and have been through all of them many times - depending where I'm going.

Nothing scary about any of them. 

Honored Contributor

I'll take any tunnel over a bridge any day!   My husband and I were out of town during the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake.   We had driven over the Bay Bridge on our way to SFO that morning.  A section of this bridge collapsed into the bay during this quake, which occurred in late afternoon. And a freeway overpass in Oakland that my husband used for his commute, also collapsed. 

Respected Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

I would say the Brooklyn Battery. I was 3/4of the way thru in  a commuter bus on 9-11 when the first plane hit the Towers

Oh no!!! How terrifiying!!!!  I'm going to youtube that tunnel as I'm completely unfamiliar with it.  Thank you!!!!!! @I am still oxox

Esteemed Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I live here and have been through all of them many times - depending where I'm going.

Nothing scary about any of them. 

I agree.

I'm not brave by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't find any bridges or tunnels scary.  They've been a part of my life my entire life - Maybe that's why.