Honored Contributor

@sallybusky wrote:

If I need just a little bit of produce (like celery...frequently celery!) I buy a little bit from the salad bar. 

Me too. Woman Happy

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

I grow my own celery along with quite a bit of other vegetables, I'm hoping by next season not to have to use grocery store for any of these items, we'll see......

Respected Contributor

The store charges what the store charges.  You had the option of "voting with your feet" if you thought it was too expensive.  That you paid the price was your choice.

Honored Contributor

@pattypeep wrote:

I don't buy organic. No one has convinced me that "standard" food is bad for you and I have no way of knowing if the "organic" is truly organic. Just my opinion. I find food prices at Wal Mart to be hard to beat.

I don't go oranic either because "organic" is just a word they use for marketing.  It doesn't mean anything, there are no standards and it's a money waster for me.  I work, I can't shop every 2 days so when hubby picks up organic produce,  it rots in the crisper because we can't get to it in 2 or 3 days.  There's a hugh Walmart in my area that has the BEST produce ever!  Better than the $$$ fruit store I used to go to.

Honored Contributor

We stopped at the grocery store this morning so I could get some raspberries. I checked the price of the celery. 

$2.29 for regular celery and $2.99 for celery hearts. I didn't look for and check the organic. This was the regular celery. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Re: Which Is Worse?

[ Edited ]

I'm not one to feel that Walmart is 'beneath me', but I have to say that the Walmart near me, anyway, had THE absolute worst produce I've ever seen anywhere.   Because of that, it's the last place I would go for produce. 

I'll buy other stuff there, mostly stuff that is't terribly perishable for the most part because I do notice a lot of expired and much closer to expired dates than what I'll find at other grocery stores.

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt, you described the produce at my local Walmart to a perfect "T".

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@sallybusky wrote:

If I need just a little bit of produce (like celery...frequently celery!) I buy a little bit from the salad bar. 

@sallybusky me too!  I recently moved and the store that had a terrific salad bar is thank goodness building a store close to my new home.  I buy all of my small amount produce from the salad bar, great idea as I hate throwing out food!

@JaneMarple

Honored Contributor

@Marp

@chickenbutt

I don't even look at their produce anymore.  I purchased asparagus from them (in season) and I had to cook it almost within 24 hours as it was already going bad.  They are good for some things but they will never see another dollar of my produce money.

Honored Contributor

Re: Which Is Worse?

[ Edited ]

@Marp @Moonchilde  @Kachina624 

Gee where do these people live........I checked my grocery store's (HEB's) website---wonderful produce!!!

Regular celery bunch .94 each

Celery sticks washed, cut, and packaged $2.24 each

Fresh organic celery $1.87

Organic celery hearts packaged and washed $2.57

The most expensive is Ready Fresh Go! Celery Sticks Packed In Water 14 oz $3.98 and Chopped Celery Packed In Water 7 oz $3.48............

Maybe everyone should move to Texas Smiley Wink 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”