Esteemed Contributor

I don't buy organic. No one has convinced me that "standard" food is bad for you and I have no way of knowing if the "organic" is truly organic. Just my opinion. I find food prices at Wal Mart to be hard to beat.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

Re: Which Is Worse?

[ Edited ]

Zucchini.

That's what makes me go 'huh?'.

It's sale price $1.30/lb.  Zucchini is one of the most prolific

vegetable on Earth, but e.v.e.r.y single gardener planting this

will have so much, they can't give it away. I guess I just have 

to find gardener friends. 👍👨‍🌾👩‍🌾

Honored Contributor

@Marp

This post made me laugh as I was in Sams today a nice lady my age was in front of me with a full cart of just about everything except paper products (chatting she told me it's just her & hubby).

We continued chatting as cashier was ringing her order & grand total $397.13🙄😳.  I said Holy crow she laughed and said and this is to eat healthy so I come here prices are better.

Geez, I saw a bag of 2 lbs lemons for $8.99 and then thought they our out of their minds!

So we both laughed at the same time "just think if we had to feed our kids too!"

Trusted Contributor

Another thing I refuse to buy now. I will not and cannot pay through the roof for food items that I can survive without. The price of everything from food to medication is culling some folks. Is sad to imagine having children to feed. Back to basics for us.

Honored Contributor

Not knowing what the price is "supposed to be" I would have just put it in my cart. It wouldn't occur to me to look at the price. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I read somewhere or other that if the grocery store has a salad bar just buy a little. You might save a few pennies that way. Depends on how much you need. The price is outrageous!!!

And there was no one left to speak out for me....
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

Not knowing what the price is "supposed to be" I would have just put it in my cart. It wouldn't occur to me to look at the price. 

I operate more like you, @gidgetgh.  It's funny though that my husband grocery shopped the other day and was upset by the price of celery.  

Honored Contributor

Certain fruits and vegetables I just won't buy unless they're organic.

Celery is on that list as it's one of the Dirty Dozen again this year.  Strawberries is another, which I love.

If the price is too high on those I just don't buy.  I DO have a limit as to how much I will pay.

Honored Contributor

The price of groceries in general is ridiculous.  I spend a crazy amount of money every week at the store.  Every week I moan and grumble that I need to find a new place to shop because the store I go to is so nuts with the pricing.

But every week I go there because I don't want to spend the time going from one side of town to the other, at 2 different stores.  

Honored Contributor

@pattypeep wrote:

I don't buy organic. No one has convinced me that "standard" food is bad for you and I have no way of knowing if the "organic" is truly organic. Just my opinion. I find food prices at Wal Mart to be hard to beat.

ITA

I think all the GMO-this & Organic-that is just monkey chatter.

A conventional plant based diet is hands-down so much healthier

than a diet of meat/dairy/eggs/processed oils w/ organic vegetables 

added in.   You can eat SOSOSOSO cheap with beans/rice/potatoes,

frozen vegetables, a minimal fruit.  

There are tons of Vegan-$20/week challenges out there...some even less.

Most of these are on YouTube...and they show what they make.  

Very filling, very satisfying.  It can be done.