Honored Contributor

Re: Where will I encounter the covid 19 virus if I am outside...no link just pointing the way

@shoesnbags -

My daughter likes to go to Trader Joes. I don't like to go anywhere!Woman Sad

I wanted to tell you that "Wake me up when it's all over"-one of my favorite songs. I have his cd when it first came out and was so sad to hear he took his own life. What a great song

and artist. I'm sad he couldn't make it in this world.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Re: Where will I encounter the covid 19 virus if I am outside...no link just pointing the way

@Isobel Archer wrote:

Gotta love it - no mansplaining allowed - just go with Fauci's millions will die, no 200,000, no 60,000 - gee I don't have any idea, but it's way too soon to go back to work.

Hold up @Isobel Archer . Fauci clearly stated those stats if WE DID NOT CLOSE BUSINESSES AND DO SOCIAL DISTANCING. Because of following his guidelines we are not looking at 200 thousand deaths.

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

Gotta love it - no mansplaining allowed - just go with Fauci's millions will die, no 200,000, no 60,000 - gee I don't have any idea, but it's way too soon to go back to work.

Hold up @Isobel Archer . Fauci clearly stated those stats if WE DID NOT CLOSE BUSINESSES AND DO SOCIAL DISTANCING. Because of following his guidelines we are not looking at 200 thousand deaths.

No actually the 200,000 was predicted after we shutdown.

And as to his "advice" you might want to check his saying in Jan and Feb that the virus was not really a problem - and in March -  he said it was fine to take cruises.

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

No actually the 200,000 was predicted after we shutdown.

And as to his "advice" you might want to check his saying in Jan and Feb that the virus was not really a problem - and in March -  he said it was fine to take cruises.

Source?

I find he said nothing about cruises being safe. Cut and paste.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

March 9 2020        Fauci then said, “If you are a healthy young person, there is no reason if you want to go on a cruise ship, go on a cruise ship. But the fact is that if you have…an individual who has an underlying condition, particularly an elderly person who has an underlying condition, I would recommend strongly that they do not go on a cruise ship.”

Yesterday, Fauci told Fox News Sunday host Chris Wallace, “Elderly with underlying conditions, heart disease, chronic lung disease, diabetes (should) not wait, but right now, to sort of take look at things that are at high risk, crowded places, getting on airplanes, 

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

Obviously the virus is spreading like wildfire in more heavily populated urban areas. My state was originally the epicenter, and the cases continue to be concentrated in the Seattle/Puget Sound urban areas, though it has dropped somewhat lately. My thinking is I will continue to proceed with caution and practice whatever my governor asks to bring down the curve. I choose to error on the side of caution and be safer and not sorry. I did have one incident last week that has worried me. I am getting estimates on a new roof, and though I was outside and I tried to keep within 6 feet, it's hard to look at images and figures and maintain that distance. I did try to stand next to the estimator instead of in front of him because I figured no droplets would go out sideways as he talked. I'm having another estimator tomorrow, but this time I will wear a mask and big glasses.

I know that it's difficult not to worry, but in some instances, we have no choice but to get close to people. 

I have been in cirumstances like yours where afterwards I thought that I should have covered my face.

All that we can do is try our best. Heart Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@lovescats wrote:

March 9 2020        Fauci then said, “If you are a healthy young person, there is no reason if you want to go on a cruise ship, go on a cruise ship. But the fact is that if you have…an individual who has an underlying condition, particularly an elderly person who has an underlying condition, I would recommend strongly that they do not go on a cruise ship.”

Yesterday, Fauci told Fox News Sunday host Chris Wallace, “Elderly with underlying conditions, heart disease, chronic lung disease, diabetes (should) not wait, but right now, to sort of take look at things that are at high risk, crowded places, getting on airplanes, 

Yes he said if you were healthy it was fine to take a cruise.  

Now this is an "expert" in epidimiology.  He seriously thought it would make a difference if you were healthy to begin with.  Hello - the Diamond Princiss was quarantined in early Feb with the virus.  He truly didn't understand how a cruise ship is an incubator for disease - after all the noro virus incidents etc. And at the same time, he's telling us how much more contagious coronavirus is than any other virus we've seen.   Seriously?  I hope no one took his advice.

And then just recently, he told us all that we really should have shut down earlier than we did - we would have saved lives.  So while he was advocating cruising - we really should have been shut down.  Wow.  It's amazing anyone gives him any credence at all a this point.

Oh and his latest is that it would be fine for MLB to play - to an empty stadium - we could safely watch on TV.  Again - the country should stay shut down and maintain 6 feet of social distance - but baseball players are fine to play.  I guess they won't sit together in the dugout and certainly not touch each other on the field.  What nonsense is this?

Esteemed Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

The virus is clearly not as easily spread as initially feared. If the virus was easily spread and each infected person spread it to just one other person each day, in 34-35 days the whole world would have it. Day one, one person has it. Day two, two people have it and spread it to two others. Day three, four people then have it and spread it to four others. Day four, eight people now have it and spread it to eight others. Day five sixteen people have it and spread it to sixteen others. Keep doing the math and when you hit day 34-35, over eight billion people have it.

At this point about one in five hundred people have been infected that we know of in the US and probably half of them are no longer infectious which makes the odds of you even coming into contact with someone with the active virus one in about a thousand. What are the odds that you'd then catch the virus from them? Pretty slim if you're wearing a mask, washing your hands, not touching your face, avoiding unnecessary social gatherings, etc. Even if you did, nationally about 95% of the people recover.

The hardest-hit area is New York City where we cram 8.398 million people into just 302.6 square miles for a population density of 27,755.3 per square mile. Then we add in a few million commuters and tourists each day just to spice things up a bit. And don't forget that 7.6 million New Yorkers (and visitors) ride the subway each day where they're essentially packed in like sardines in a can, touching the same surfaces and breathing the same air. Workers tend to spend their days not in open fields with fresh air and sunshine, but in office buildings with recycled air and shared facilities.

Now, New York State (not just NYC) has a total of just 236,732 confirmed cases despite all of that. If this was as infectious as many like to think, that number would be much, much higher. NYC on a daily basis probably has over ten million people (commuters and residents) crammed into those 302.6 square miles.

Some will argue that we don't really know how many people were infected because we haven't tested everyone. That's true. But we do know the number of people who have died or been in the hospital. If the number of infected is higher than we know then the severity or risk posed by the virus is lower. New York's 236,732 confirmed cases with 17,671 dead is a death rate of 7.4% for those with confirmed infections. If the number of infected is ten times higher, the death rate drops by ten times to 0.74%. That's a much better number. If the number of infected is a hundred times higher then the death rate drops to 0.074%. Not too scary a number. Give me a 99.926% survival rate any old day and I'll be pretty happy.

Talk to any epidemiologist in the world and they'll tell you that the more people you cram into a tighter space the more likely the spread of disease is. That's what we're seeing in NYC. Despite cramming people in like sardines in a can, the number of infected and the death rate is not nearly as bad as many had presumed it would be. It's not good, but it could be, maybe should be, a lot worse. The fact that it isn't, indicates that either the virus isn't nearly as easily spread as many had presumed, or that the virus isn't nearly as deadly as many had presumed. If it's spread is wider, then the death and complications rate is lower. The two numbers are linked.

Assuming no one's hiding tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of dead and hospitalized patients, the numbers right now are kind of encouraging. People are still going to get sick and people are still going to die, but if you take the right precautions and aren't horribly unlucky, you should come through this just fine. The numbers right now, when put into perspective, aren't so bad. Do the right things, take care of yourself, and you should be fine. This really isn't the Mother of all Pandemics that many had forecast. It's bad, but not nearly as bad as it had looked like it might be.

@gardenman - I'm in the hotspot for New Jersey.  Read the study out of LA after doing baseline testing.  There are more infections than we thought but the good news is that the death toll is lower comparatively.  For those of us compromised that is relevant because there are more silent carriers.  I worked in NYC most of my career and my area is very densely populated so for us it's very difficult to remain well.  This is the worst since 1918.  I had friends die and family.  This is a very painful virus; your lungs look like cracked ice on X-ray....you can't breathe on your own with incredible chest pain & the fear in a loved ones eyes is something ill never forget.  You die alone, your family can't have a funeral and you are mass cremated and ashes are thrown in a communal mass grave.  There is no closure.  This is how it is for us here....so don't minimize this deadly virus.  I'm a nurse and have been through all the major outbreaks  since polio.  I've never seen anything ravage one so quickly and brutally.  Every death is bad...the poor helpless souls in nursing homes are scared to death and the threat is real to them.  There is a death toll with influenza but it is preventable but influenza is not as contagious and you do have a fighting chance....this is nothing like influenza 

Esteemed Contributor

@Moonlady wrote:

Being cooped up to breathe recycled air, isn't good for anyone. We had a sanitorium here long ago for the treatment of TB, where the fresh air treatment was used, even during our cold winters. 

As for us , we open windows in the house, and in the car.

Fresh air is good. And, yes, is is fresh.

@Moonlady - the CDC does advise you to ventilate your home 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Stray -

First I am so very sorry for the loss of your loved ones.

Next, you are the voice of what this virus does.

No statistic or mathematics will explain it away.

And I bet those who use theories to prove their views have not had a loved one die from it.

It is more contageous then we could have ever known and it attacks the young, the old, the healthy, the sick.

Anyone who does not respect the seriousness of this virus,

think of Skylar the sweetest 5 year old who died this past Sunday from complications of this virus.

Think of yourself dying this way or someone you love so much.

Then whether you have to go back to work or work from home, or not work at all, use whatever precautions you can and do not downplay the seriousness of this.

Any intelligent person should acknowledge together all the things we should do to protect ourselves and those we love.

It is not a verbal game here.

It is each person's precious life. 

Yours and those you love.

We have to unite on this!

Skylar 

Skylar Herbert

and all those who died from this, you are mourned, you are not numbers,

your life and death matters.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"