Honored Contributor

@MKR14...last year we sold a gift card to a restaurant that is not in our area....we lost $5 ish dollars on the deal....worked great for us....it was the first time I had done something like that and I just googled something like selling a gift card....I would try that   route first before losing so much of the value of your LL Bean card.

Honored Contributor

some of the green coin counting machines wll exchange gift cards I forgot the name but look it up and find out which ones in your area will do that

Honored Contributor

@MKR14 wrote:

@phoenixbrd I may just take the local offer and my husband said to put it towards my new iPad I just received. Better than nothing. I just felt bad about not using it. Hopefully my friend got it for points and didn’t pay cash. The thought was very much appreciated though.

your friend did not know that you would not shop there, have you thought about giving it back to her

Esteemed Contributor

Have you thought about donating the card to an organization of your choice. Many humane society's are in need of supplies.  It was just a thought to help those less fortunate.

Honored Contributor

Re: Where to sell gift card

[ Edited ]

CRYSTAL TREE: p.s.  I forgot to mention that it's very heavy (too heavy for me, if I were to be home alone at the time).......and.... I'd need an extension cord to use it.  Also, the wattage is almost double of what my wall receptacles are equipped to take.  The highest wattage for that type of appliance that I had before was 600 and 700 at the most.  (Toasters are ok because of the short time it takes to toast.)  Not minutes and minutes on end.   Power strips don't have long extension cords, I believe.  With a power strip,  at least the appliance would be shut down if the cord/receptacle were to become 'too hot' or 'too high' of a wattage (or whatever). 

Gee, I feel much better writing down all of this.  I've been thinking and thinking about this since Christmas Day.

Thank you, everyone, for 'listening'...........

Sometimes, if we write our dilemmas, we (well, I) feel better.

Happy, healthy, and safe New Year 2019.  Heart

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

If I don't know someone well, I give a Visa gift card so they can use it many places. I don't like getting a card for a store I never go to.

Valued Contributor

@MKR14 There are sites where you can exhange them. Here is an article by cnbc:

How to swap an unwanted gift card for cash

Americans are expected to spend close to $30 billion on gift cards this holiday season, according to the National Retail Federation.

However, many of these cards will end up either unused or hawked online.

Here's how to make sure you get the most out of the hottest gift of the season.

The hottest gift of the season could also be the least used.

For the 12th year running, gift cards remain the most popular items on wish lists, according to the National Retail Federation's annual holiday report.

Gift cards topped all other potential presents, including jewelry, clothing, books, movies, music, electronics and sporting goods. The NRF polled more than 7,000 adults in October. The survey has a margin of error of 1.2 percentage points.

Altogether, Americans are expected to spend close to $30 billion on gift cards alone this holiday season, buying four cards, on average, with each worth about $49, the NRF also found.

However, many of those cards will end up either unused or hawked online.

Enter gift card exchanges. Sites such as Cardpool and Raise help you trade in those unwanted cards for cash.

Despite gift cards being the most desired Christmas and holiday present year after year, Dec. 26 is, according to Cardpool, typically the company's single busiest day of the year for unloading unused cards.

The problem arises when recipients don't get the exact gift card they wanted, said Mike Jack, the general manager of Cardpool.

The resale value can vary dramatically but generally ranges from below 70 percent to over 90 percent, depending on the popularity of the card and its availability.

"Every merchant has its own supply and demand," Jack said.

Some of the most valuable cards include iTunes, Starbucks, Target and Walmart, according to Cardpool. (Alternatively, savvy shoppers can score the gift cards they desire at steep discounts through the same online marketplaces.)

As for making the most of the ones you plan to hold on to, Consumer Reports offers these tips:

Use 'em or lose 'em. Almost $1 billion in gift-card value was left unspent in 2015, according to the latest data from the market research firm CEB.

The biggest mistake many people make is to put their cards in a drawer and forget about them. Instead, keep them handy in your wallet or purse so you have quick and easy access when you are out shopping.

Keep in mind that gift cards do eventually expire, generally after five years, or you could get hit with an inactivity fee after one year.

Reduce your risk. The Federal Trade Commission warns that some issuers won't replace lost or stolen gift cards while others will — for another fee.

Gift-card givers should give recipients the original purchase receipt along with the card, the FTC advises. If the card is lost or stolen, some issuers will require the receipt as proof of purchase to provide a replacement card with whatever balance is remaining. Additionally, promptly report a lost or stolen card to ensure you recoup the entire value or whatever is left.

And, of course, be wary of gift cards from retailers in or nearing bankruptcy.

Spend every penny. After you've used some of the value on a gift card, you can liquidate small unspent balances by requesting a "split tender" payment the next time you shop at that retailer. First, pay with the gift card to use up the balance, and then pay the rest with cash or a credit or debit card.

Some states give consumers another option: In California, for example, gift cards with less than $10 left on them are redeemable for cash; in Colorado you can get cash for gift cards with less than a $5 remaining balance. Find your state's gift-card laws on the National Conference of State Legislatures website.

"On the Money" airs on CNBC Saturdays at 5:30 a.m. ET, or check listings for air times in local markets.

Honored Contributor

My apology for 'side-tracking' this thread.

Even though it has a few strands of similar features weaving through, I shouldn't have side-tracked it.

Again, thank you.

There are excellent suggestions here re: the gift card dilemma.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

@jackthebear Yes I did bring it back to her and explained the help with the lawn and snowblowing the driveway was our pleasure. I told her we would not use it. She said that was fine and maybe I would find something for someone. I told her ok so I didn’t hurt her feelings. She also gave us a Petsmart card for our dogs treats. That I told her we would use that and thank you.

Honored Contributor

Sell it on Gift Card Granny on line.  This site is safe and legit.  I have used it to sell and buy gift cards a few times with no issues.

You could  get $193.50 cash for an LL Bean $250 gift card.