Honored Contributor

Re: Where's your favorite quiet place, to think, meditate, pray, plan, whatever.

[ Edited ]

We have not used our formal living room in many years. Not too long ago, we decided to clear out the sofas and  other formal furniture. There's a cozy fireplace in there and built-in bookcases with lots of light coming from a wall of French doors leading to a screened porch that runs along the length of the back of the house.

I purchased a huge comfy chair with ottoman, large trunk to use as side table and a few other pieces, but left the center of the room open for my yoga mat, a small table for my computer to follow videos that have my yoga, meditation, zumba for seniors, etc. 

My big chair (anyone remember Lily Tomlin in her big chair?) is the perfect place to put my feet up, have a cup of tea and read, too. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Where's your favorite quiet place, to think, meditate, pray, plan, whatever.

@Gorgf wrote:

Weather permitting, my back  deck that looks out at a wooded backyard. I have deer, rabbits, birds, squirrels and fox that show up and an occasional bear but not often in daytime.

Same for me (minus the bear).  I sit in my rocking chair and marvel at the beauty of nature.

Respected Contributor

I like to sit on the front porch and read, watch the birds.

Respected Contributor

Hiking with my dog is my favorite place. The second is on my deck, taking in the sun, while observing nature, with a glass of wine.  

Honored Contributor

Walking around the neighborhood looking at all the lights during the Christmas season, and very special when it's snowing.  

Honored Contributor

In the woods we're surrounded by.

Honored Contributor

Back yard screened patio. SO PEACEFUL!

Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal  When we are at home, DH and I love to sit on the back porch in the late afternoon and watch the birds tending to their houses, feeding, and using the bird baths. They don't even notice us because we are so still. A great way to unwind and remind us we are not the center of the universe.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

We have not used our formal living room in many years. Not too long ago, we decided to clear out the sofas and  other formal furniture. There's a cozy fireplace in there and built-in bookcases with lots of light coming from a wall of French doors leading to a screened porch that runs along the length of the back of the house.

I purchased a huge comfy chair with ottoman, large trunk to use as side table and a few other pieces, but left the center of the room open for my yoga mat, a small table for my computer to follow videos that have my yoga, meditation, zumba for seniors, etc. 

My big chair (anyone remember Lily Tomlin in her big chair?) is the perfect place to put my feet up, have a cup of tea and read, too. 

@Shanus 

I love what you said. You are using your space for what is special to you instead of what someone else might think. I sometimes wonder how home designers imagine most of us live. There is so often a lot of space allocated to things we seldom do! Kudos on creating such a room for yourself. Very inspiring, and the Lily Tomlin image is perfect.

Honored Contributor

My bedroom ... I have a prayer corner.

For just "thinking / pondering" - just about anywhere.  I can "turn off / tune out" rather easily.