Super Contributor
"waste time watching Jane and those shoes" ROTFLMAO
Super Contributor
PinkSunset.......you go girl!!!
Trusted Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I think that's downside of watching QVC or any shopping channel for entertainment.  They aren't to be "enjoyed" like sitcoms or movies, they are just for shopping so if a particular show doesn't interest you....why watch?

Wow.  Don't let QVC hear you say that.

They are on the air to sell but it has to be entertaining.

Like her or hate her, Kathy understood this.

So did Steve and a few others.

There IS a way to sell and make it entertaining - no matter if people buy or not - BUT in order to get people to buy, that have to FIRST watch.

That is why it must have an entertaining element at all times.

Viewers become customers.

Why do I have to keep explaining the obvious?

The "change the channel" choir needs to be more realistic.

Trusted Contributor

@Pook wrote:

There wasn't really more variety - just seemed that way because internet shopping was not around or not as many options online when it first came to be.  Check online at the variety and options QVC and every shopping channel has.  It's massive!  You don't have to  watch anymore to purchase so that excitement is gone.  No need to watch so you can order things now.  Shopping channels seem to be playing to the channel serfers and I would think they get more sales that way now.      

There used to be lots of variety.

Not sure what QVC you watched a few years ago but there used to be all sorts of new and interesting products.

Trusted Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

Where is the variety of these posts?  Its the same old, same old, whinning and complaining about QVC, hosts, products, programs.

My suggestion to to tune into other things.

If that is done, as you suggest, how many will lose their jobs?

Hundreds?  Thousands?

Wow.  

What happens to other television shows that are not watched?

THEY GET CANCELLED.

Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

There wasn't really more variety - just seemed that way because internet shopping was not around or not as many options online when it first came to be.  Check online at the variety and options QVC and every shopping channel has.  It's massive!  You don't have to  watch anymore to purchase so that excitement is gone.  No need to watch so you can order things now.  Shopping channels seem to be playing to the channel serfers and I would think they get more sales that way now.      

@Pook 

I can give you a list of vendors and type of products that used to be offered and not that long ago....not even talking about the "good ole days"...QVC has changed and now they offer a few limited products you can buy anywhere usually cheaper...and a few of Q's own in-house brands...that's it, and you dont need to watch 24/7 either just check the program guide and items recently on air.....Q is struggling financially...1% decline in revenues, and with all the changes in hosts/new show names something is indeed driving this. Products have reached saturation points with current customers so sales aren't there, and attracting a couple hundred new customers apparently isn't enough to make up for other current customers no longer watching and therefore buying less....VARIETY is needed...come on..Dyson/Shark, IT Cosmetics, Argan Oil, Dooney, Logo, ....every single weekend wont make for good sales....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I guess in the end it all depends on what anyone is looking for.  I like that there are better clothing choices now rather than the endless parade of conservative, boxy, shapeless, high elastic waist loose baggy pants so I buy clothing here often.  There are so many great skincare and makeup brand options available as well as kitchen items.  I'm not into bobbles and jewelry or name brand handbags and don't care for decorating stuff.  I buy a lot here and like what I buy.  If I can't find something here I just look elsewhere.  I'm not an impulse buyer and buy what I need and like and don't live to watch QVC for entertainment.  I just don't get what some keep saying about variety.  The future of tv sales seems to be in showing products over and over throughout the day to get those that are clicking past the channel to stop and watch a presentation.  I know I don't have the time to monitor what QVC shows all day and with the program guide can see if there is anything I want to view the presentation on.  If more "variety" like some keep saying is actually presented during each day, sales probably will not go up but rather decline.  A mere 1% decline in revenues is not indicative of a companu going belly up!!  Anyone can find a stat to prove anything they want and none of us are working on the budgeting at QVC to really know the true picture.  I would be more inclined to think that revenues are down a mere 1% because of all the constant returns that some keep making (with too many actually worn, washed and not able to be resold).  Also those that order food items, eat them and then get a refund since they don't have to return them or those that put items on check hold so no one else can order and then cancel.  Probably not that sales are down - just bad customers!

Honored Contributor

Re: Where is the variety?

[ Edited ]

@Pook wrote:

I guess in the end it all depends on what anyone is looking for.  I like that there are better clothing choices now rather than the endless parade of conservative, boxy, shapeless, high elastic waist loose baggy pants so I buy clothing here often.  There are so many great skincare and makeup brand options available as well as kitchen items.  I'm not into bobbles and jewelry or name brand handbags and don't care for decorating stuff.  I buy a lot here and like what I buy.  If I can't find something here I just look elsewhere.  I'm not an impulse buyer and buy what I need and like and don't live to watch QVC for entertainment.  I just don't get what some keep saying about variety.  The future of tv sales seems to be in showing products over and over throughout the day to get those that are clicking past the channel to stop and watch a presentation.  I know I don't have the time to monitor what QVC shows all day and with the program guide can see if there is anything I want to view the presentation on.  If more "variety" like some keep saying is actually presented during each day, sales probably will not go up but rather decline.  A mere 1% decline in revenues is not indicative of a companu going belly up!!  Anyone can find a stat to prove anything they want and none of us are working on the budgeting at QVC to really know the true picture.  I would be more inclined to think that revenues are down a mere 1% because of all the constant returns that some keep making (with too many actually worn, washed and not able to be resold).  Also those that order food items, eat them and then get a refund since they don't have to return them or those that put items on check hold so no one else can order and then cancel.  Probably not that sales are down - just bad customers!

@Pook 

PLEASE....we dont live to watch QVC and dont need to be told how to use a remote....we use that technique often...we are just trying to keep QVC as a viable retail option.....we dont want to see another retailer die-- just another Amazon victim....less choices also results in higher prices for us all....

And its not just the 1% decline of last quarter....this has been going for awhile now...and now with their parent company, Libertyinteractive adding addition of HSN to Qurate Division--- it looks like QVC has been given the task of also bringing up struggling HSN and the merging of products/vendors on both channels.....another albatross around QVC's neck....And not just picking a random stat ---when QVC's USA Exec sites declines in sales for specific categories to a stockholders press conference....and gets testy when business reporters go into more specifics...something isn't going right..... 

Their choices in kitchen items are so limited, looks like those that wanted them have bought them already, same with beauty products and look at Beauty IQ which was was a failure....channel is now used for show reruns.....

To me all their clothing brands look alike.....and their inconsistent sizing adds to their return woes....not customers fault online measurements are inaccurate...and hosts are too busy telling personal stories or going through colors to give real measurements....

And you can blame QVC's Execs for making the channel more about entertainment and making hosts your BFF on Facebook than giving good product info...which contributes to the return issue....

Why all the changes in show lineups and hosts if they are doing so well....sometimes you cant ignore stats or what you see going on....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pook wrote:

You made a lot of assumptions about returned items, food products wasted, refunds given etc, as the reason sales are down,  All things every company deals with.

You said "if I can't find something here, I look elsewhere". That to me says QVC (online?) is your first stop to purchasing? Do you buy the same brans everytime? I would never click on QVC first to find something I want. 

If you do your homework, when they seel computers no matter what they  say, they are old generations of processors that they throw in a bunch of unwanted, cluttering apps to jack up the price. Cameras? Old models for sure. Clothing? I can get the same styles at much better prices at TJ Maxx for one thing.

My whole point was that to keep current in today's online, tech savvy customer world, you have to be innovative and competitive to grab customers, If I needed a new mattress, I certainly wouldn;t think Oh,, let me see what QVC has for sale. 

They are not an online faceless retailer, They are broadcast live on television, to get you to channel flip and stop and see what they are selling and maybe stop awhile and shop.

But if I do that and see D&C, Graver, Josie M, Philosophy and of course LOGO which seems to have a cult following, however does she actually grab any new customers with all that progamming? I keep on going. Thus, no sales from me,

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pook wrote:

@PinkSunset wrote:

@Pook wrote:

All I know is that they were airing 24 hours a day when they started and still do. difference is back then they didn't air 3 hours of the same product, then air another show for 2 hours and then come back with another 3 hours of the same product. and I;m not talking about the TSVs only. When IT is on, or Josie, they are on 5-6 times in a 24 hour day, With that said, it would take more products to fill a 24 hour day when they are only aired once or twice, no? 

What I was stating was that in the past you had to watch to order and now you don't.  They probably get more sales from those who just are checking to see what's on (like I do) or those clicking past their channel who see something and may have never purchased here before and end up buying.  Times have changed.  What worked for them at the beginning is more than likely not working in today's world.  Gone are the days when that many really want to just sit and watch a shopping channel with Netflix and Amazon and so many more entertaining things to watch.  Plus nearly everyone has internet and when they started there was none.  The few that still do watch all day would not buy as much as the sales from showing the same few products all day.  Life changes.

@Pook 

So many entertaing things to watch..... Really?????  All I hear from family/friends/co-workers....is...."all these channels, and nothing good on to watch"..... And NO, that doesn't mean I turn to QVC, I read, do crafts, visit family/friends, exercise, volunteer....etc etc

I will say an advantage QVC does have over other retailers you can see a product demonstrated, how clothes actually look on a real live person instead of an online website photoshopped photo....BUT QVC isnt using TV to its full advantage...instead their redundant products/programming has viewers heading to the virtual hills...

BTW @Pook  if  a shopping channel is such an old fashioned/outdated method of shopping why has and is the Almighty Amazon continuing to pursue and develop this method of retail shopping for their company 

Amazon has a new trick up its sleeve to part you with your hard-earned cash. It’s called Amazon Live, and it’s a cross between QVC and Twitch. In other words, it’s a live shopping channel made up of multiple video streams showing people selling their wares.

Amazon Live Tempts You to Spend More Money

Amazon Live, which you can watch now , is a shopping channel with a difference. When you land on the page you’ll see one stream front and center. This is the stream Amazon thinks you’ll be most interested in watching.

Some of the shows are all about Amazon products, with dedicated hosts selling you on the benefits of buying Amazon hardware. However, other streams cover products as diverse as giant teddy bears, video projectors, rugged smartphone cases, and fitness equipment. (did you notice the word DIVERSE)

Amazon Live seems to benefit everyone. By offering multiple live streams viewers get to choose what they want to watch. Brands get to push their products on potential buyers. And Amazon gets to insert ads for its own products. So everyone’s a winner.