Honored Contributor

Re: Where is the American flag?

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Just because the stage wasn't awash in American flags, doesn't mean anything.

They did have one displayed, it just wasn't how you wanted it to be displayed.

I would have thought nothing of it.

ITA with this.

I have never needed to "wrap myself in the flag" - figuratively or literally - to feel proud and happy to be an American, or to know that I am. 

I rarely "mind" flag-waving, but see no need for it everywhere, all the time. I wonder - do people actually think others will forget - what? - that they are Americans and proud of it if they aren't reminded by flags everywhere?

Fourth of July, I'm right there - t-shirt, red, white & blue jewelry, etc. But I'm not less patriotic, or less a lover of my country, because I don't wear that shirt every day.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

My school has ROTC. At every graduation ceremony, the cadets march into the arena carrying the flag.

Honored Contributor

When USA flags are displayed with others, they are supposed to be highest.

So the flags in the rafters were higher than the other flags and were properly displayed.

Question: Why did this bother you, especially since USA flags WERE present???

Respected Contributor

Sometimes I see a black and white American flag from someone's vehicle.  It has a blue horizontal stripe in the middle.  We were stunned first time we saw this and had no idea what it signified.  It was flying from the back of a large pickup truck.  No others at the time.  We were later informed that it was for grieving law enforcement.  

Esteemed Contributor

Twins Mom...I see nothing wrong with your question, a simple answer goes a long way. 

@twins mom wrote:
At a graduation ceremony today for a large university there were at least 20 flags displayed under school emblem but the U.S. flag was not there. Sang national anthem but no flag was brought to the podium. There were several US flags hung high in rafters in middle of auditorium and I guess that was deemed sufficient. That bothered me and seems negligent and disrespectful. Opinions?

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

@Twins Mom  Hugs to you for you are correct!

• If the U.S. flag will be displayed on a stage or in a parade, it should be to the viewer's left of any other flags in the line, as you see in the photo.

When flying from a pole

• If you're flying other flags along with the national one, the U.S. flag should be higher -- on a taller pole -- rather than even with or below. So, even when at half staff, Old Glory should still be higher than the others. And it should be at the center of a grouping.

https://soapboxie.com/misc/american-flag-etiquette

Respected Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Just because the stage wasn't awash in American flags, doesn't mean anything.

They did have one displayed, it just wasn't how you wanted it to be displayed.

I would have thought nothing of it.

The OP is not saying she wanted the stage awash in American flags Yuban! I happen to love the American flag.  It's beautiful.  @Plaid Pants2

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JaneMarple wrote:

@twins mom wrote:
At a graduation ceremony today for a large university there were at least 20 flags displayed under school emblem but the U.S. flag was not there. Sang national anthem but no flag was brought to the podium. There were several US flags hung high in rafters in middle of auditorium and I guess that was deemed sufficient. That bothered me and seems negligent and disrespectful. Opinions?

Opinions? Don't look for trouble!

Huh????   Don't look for trouble???????

@Twins Mom  That would bother me too...     My Dad fought in WWII fighting for this country.  I love the American flag.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

'I don't know'.........Seems to me, in the great scheme of things, that, if foreign flags are displayed all together in one specified place, then the US flag should be to the left of the other flags, slightly raised above them.   Just seems only 'right' (polite/respectful) to me.  ........... Similar situation:  A childrens' birthday party.  All of the children attending are in the photo except the Birthday child.  Doesn't seem 'right' to me.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

@KatieB wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

@twins mom wrote:

Opinions? Don't look for trouble!

Huh????   Don't look for trouble???????

@Twins Mom  That would bother me too...     My Dad fought in WWII fighting for this country.  I love the American flag.

So do those who have no problem with this. I buried a Dad who was a Flying Tiger/Hump Pilot during WWII and a husband who served as a Marine during Desert Storm and was too young to die. 

Our Flags place at a graduation is the least of our worries. JMO.