Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat, you have so many friends on this board who love you, and by projection, your mom. I have never been on the Kitchen forum until @LTT1 directed me here. You are strong and brave and loving, a shining example for all of us. My love and prayers are directed at you in this moment. God bless you AND your mom. Heart

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@house_cat

Aside from some of the cognitive issues already underway, when they dope (and I don't mean medicate, I mean dope) an older person such as your mother post surgery (to address pain) it can cause some personality changes.  I am glad that she survived the surgery and is under the appropriate care for her current condition.

I fired up another flameless candle Karen - this one will go for your Ma until you tell me you no longer need it.

You are right, as usual, Bird Mama.  Yesterday was one of the worst of my life.  It seems she's having some kind of psychotic episodes.  That's my description of it, not clinical.  She spent 90% of yesterday, moaning, thrashing, crying, yelling, tearing off her robe and struggling to get out of the bed. They aren't sure if it's the anesthesia, the pain meds or a UTI, because she shows symptoms of that, too.  They tried Xanax and Ativan and neither seemed to make much difference. The neurologist is coming to see her today, but as I have to get back to work, DH will be there with her.

Thanks for all the prayers and kind words here.  Nothing I am doing is extraordinary - most of us wind up in some difficult situation caring for loved ones at some point in our lives.  What I find extraordinary, however, is the patience and compassion of the CNAs that having been caring for her.  They are truly angels here on Earth.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat

I walked this difficult road with someone over 90, and send prayers of strength to you.   

Honored Contributor

Hope she's been found...............

Respected Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Hope she's been found...............

Perhaps you should read the thread....

Honored Contributor

Good heavens, @house_cat, you have had more than your share of sad events and stress in such a short time. Hugs to you.

The reaction your mother is having could be either reaction to anesthesia or pain meds, or a UTI, as you mentioned. I am guessing more likely the former this time as it showed as soon as she woke post-surgery, but a UTI would sure contribute.

My mom had several bouts of not "being there", not recognizing anyone, not coherent - and they were all UTIs that had shown no obvious symptoms. She also had psychotic-type, nightmare reactions to strong pain meds and begged the doctors not to give them to her, the reaction terrified her.

Be assured hospitals are used to this and they will get it controlled. But it has to be distressing to you, I'm sure. I hope her hip healing goes well. Her time in the hospital and in rehab will also be time for pfofessionals to fully assess her mental state re living at home vs requiring professional care, so the assessment burden will be off of you, if that's any consolation.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

My heart goes out to you @house_cat and my prayers are with you.  Stay strong.

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

Her GP and her neurologist both told us today that she's better off now in a palliative care unit, so she was moved tonight.  It's a relatively small place, in my neighborhood, very old and out of date but it's clean and gets good ratings for staff and level of care and all the important things. Still,  my heart is breaking for having left her there.  

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

Her GP and her neurologist both told us today that she's better off now in a palliative care unit, so she was moved tonight.  It's a relatively small place, in my neighborhood, very old and out of date but it's clean and gets good ratings for staff and level of care and all the important things. Still,  my heart is breaking for having left her there.  

{{{{HUGS}}}} it's never easy. Lots of us are right there with you.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Valued Contributor

(( @house_cat )) sounds like you and your mom have been thru it.  I'm so sorry.  Sending prayers and good thoughts your way.  Good think you have DH there to help out.  I know how much you appreciate him.