Honored Contributor

Re: Where do I get a giant "Life is Not Fair" sign?

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

You can have anything made up these days.

Esty item.

il_570xN.987802650_oenp.jpg

My father said this way before anyone knew who Bill Gates was.

Honored Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@Preds wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

When you work at a place that doesn't offer breaks, sometimes that's all you get.  It doesn't mean you're not a hard worker.  (Personally, I don't even own a smartphone.)

And yes, I do feel that older generations have to take some of the blame if their kids turn out lazy and entitled.  People aren't fundamentally different than they were generations ago, but their environments during their formative years were.

But will there ever come a day when older people will praise the younger generations for their hard work and progress?  Not likely.

Yes, @mistriTsquirrel ... I do respect the progress that the younger generations bring to us "old school" people.  I know that we made them, but I'm waiting on the time that they respect the gift of experience that we leave with them. 

We do have a few that will actually thank us for helping them further their knowledge. I'm proud for them.  They worked hard for what they got and seem to respect how and why they got there.  It's the YOU OWE ME people that get me fired up. 

@Preds  There are "you owe me" people in every age group.  There are also young people who thank their elders.  But this thread is about bashing young people.

Actually it isn't. Many, including myself, have pointed out that the "It's not fair" and "you owe me" cover people in EVERY age group. If you think it's ONLY about young people, then it's hit a nerve with you for some reason but don't make a sweeping statement that everyone here is bashing young people.

Oh, the irony.

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

Forget the sign, tattoo it on your body, and people will be more apt to see it, and read it.    

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@Preds wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

These days, "entry-level" jobs often require a bachelor's or master's degree.  When you think about it, the fact that one would have to attend school for 4-6 years after high school to get a job that someone out of high school used to be able to get is pretty irritating.  I think the mindset is that those 4-6 years were the "dues" they were supposed to be paying, and when will the work they put in start to pay off.

My mother got a job as an accountant with a high school diploma, by "working her way up" (and it didn't take 4 years).  That would never happen these days.  These days, a person would have to go to college for 4 years to even have a chance at getting that exact same job title...if they beat out 200 other applicants.

The gripes may seem petty, but the feeling is that the work is neverending with not much reward in sight.  In other words, "if I have to cover the amount of work that used to be done by 3 people (for the same wage), can I at least have access to Facebook?"

If you are doing the work of three people, you wouldn't have time to do Facebook.

I respect that they have the educations they have, but it was their hard working parents that allowed them to do what we didn't or couldn't.  We wanted better for our children.  I feel that somewhere along the way we messed up the meaning of hard work pays off.

When you work at a place that doesn't offer breaks, sometimes that's all you get.  It doesn't mean you're not a hard worker.  (Personally, I don't even own a smartphone.)

And yes, I do feel that older generations have to take some of the blame if their kids turn out lazy and entitled.  People aren't fundamentally different than they were generations ago, but their environments during their formative years were.

But will there ever come a day when older people will praise the younger generations for their hard work and progress?  Not likely.

@mistriTsquirrel

I don't think a diploma means as much to employers these days.....for example a person that went to a trade school to learn IT seems to be more valued than someone that went to college and got a degree in history unless they are a teacher............

I know quite a few people that are in their 30's and all they had was a high school diploma and they worked their way up and are successful...........so the dream is still out there for those that work hard and apply themselves............

Labor laws dictate if you work so many hours the employer must give you a break/junch etc....and if the company isn't abiding by that, they are going against the law.  Our company is very strict about that when we come in to work overtime.....So gee I didnt get a break so I'm taking a moment here to check my phone---thats not a valid excuse. 

Also, failure to teach kids basic skills and work ethic etc. may have started with SOME of the boomer generation but it's filtered through subsequent generations --- SOME parents and I do emphasis SOME parents didnt take the time to sit down and teach their children--the alphabet, colors, numbers, maybe simple math, reading skills--so they wer behind when they entered school.  And they didn't teach them about life skills as they got older either.  Sadly this also has to do with change in society...around this time many more children started being raised by single parents who just struggled to put a roof over the kid's head and food on the table.....being both mother/father and taking care of basic needs/tasks they sadly didnt have much time for teaching/mentoring.  

But a lot of today's parents are the same way, too busy with work, maintaining a home, taking caare of needs, and lets forget their own social media (thats just a fact and the way it is)....and the sad thing now is parent (s) have all of today's technology to help their kids learn.....all the interactive educational games for kids now....all parents have to do is purchase it and provide the internet to make it go!!!  And you right it is up to the parents to teach them a work ethic and "soft skills" teachers and parents should work hand and hand and parents also have responsibility (which is a dirty word today)...................

The only thing I give the younger generation for is their technology skills....And respect is a two way street

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@Preds wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

Yes, @mistriTsquirrel ... I do respect the progress that the younger generations bring to us "old school" people.  I know that we made them, but I'm waiting on the time that they respect the gift of experience that we leave with them. 

We do have a few that will actually thank us for helping them further their knowledge. I'm proud for them.  They worked hard for what they got and seem to respect how and why they got there.  It's the YOU OWE ME people that get me fired up. 

@Preds  There are "you owe me" people in every age group.  There are also young people who thank their elders.  But this thread is about bashing young people.

@mistriTsquirrel

There was a thread a week or two ago about common courtesy in today's society.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@Preds wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

This is maybe a little bit of a detour, but yesterday I stopped in Trader Joe's on my way home and stopped at the "sample" area.  So often I see people just grabbing things and not caring that someone is actually standing there PREPARING the samples and they just grab it and go, tossing their trash towards the trash can.  What struck me was a young girl who stopped and took a sample and said "Thank You" to the woman who was preparing them.  

I found it kind of stunning that that simple "Thank You" stood out to me as something rare these days.  And it was from a young girl, not the middle aged people grabbing and tossing.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

Actually it isn't. Many, including myself, have pointed out that the "It's not fair" and "you owe me" cover people in EVERY age group. If you think it's ONLY about young people, then it's hit a nerve with you for some reason but don't make a sweeping statement that everyone here is bashing young people.

Oh, the irony.

No, I've had my own age group and older say the same thing, but for different reasons.  The irony is that no one respects what the others can give.  It is a two way street.  Respect me and my experience and I will respect you and your knowledge.  If we could that ... imagine what could and should happen. 

Respect is the key ...

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

Forget the sign, tattoo it on your body, and people will be more apt to see it, and read it.    

I think she has to find a way to make an app for it.

Super Contributor

Have you checked QVC, by chance?

Education | Sorority Alumna | PGA Foundation | Coffee and Brunch are my thing.