Honored Contributor

Re: Where do I get a giant "Life is Not Fair" sign?

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN THAT WAY

Please, stop with the incessant attacks on younger people.

It was that way decades ago when I got my first professional job.  People complained about not being able to use the phones for private calls, and we had a group protest so women could wear pants suits to work.

This is nothing new.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

It sounds like you are woefully out of touch with the younger generation and you don't remember yourelf when you were their age.  It worries me that someone so out of touch is coaching for interviews.  First, there's no shortage of 40 year olds and 50 year olds who complain ad nauseum about everything that doesn't pelase them or make them happy.  20somethings are just out of college, it's the first real job for many of them.  They are accustomed to being students, they are accustomed to a certain amount of freedom and individualism.  There's learning curve for those young people.  You think you have it hard for the few hours you have them...lol  Try being their manager or supervisor for that first year...lol   It's life, just as they had learn to cross the street and learn to drive and learn how to write a reseach paper....they have to learn the ins and outs of the working world.  I would think that someone who chose to be their mentor would understand that.

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

@chrystaltree

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kdgn wrote:

So many people, not just young people, don't understand that surfing the net and using their personal cell phone during business hours, when they are supposed to be doing their job, could be considered fraud.  They aren't being paid to "play", they are being paid to work. Stealing from the employer-

But with cell phones being used anywhere and everywhere, by their peers and others, it's a rude awakening to find they can't continue to use them while on the job. No limitations placed by stores, parents or even schools. Cell phones replaced home land lines. Would you bring your landline to work with you? Shopping? To your classes? For some that's all they've known-that cell phone glued to their hand. It's always out, it's always there.....

And they don't see the problem. 

@kdgn

Totally agree and to put it in another perspective...How would THEY feel if their smartphone, smartTV, or internet required repair, and the person repairing their items wasn't working and instead was playing on their phone, but charging THEM per hour???????????????????????

I heard a speaker at a business conference say that employees using their work computer to play or to complete their personal business, or on their phone instead of working is equivalent to STEALING from the company!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@Spurt

I like your example and am going to share it with the other mentors.

"Totally agree and to put it in another perspective...How would THEY feel if their smartphone, smartTV, or internet required repair, and the person repairing their items wasn't working and instead was playing on their phone, but charging THEM per hour???????????????????????"

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

It was that way decades ago when I got my first professional job.  People complained about not being able to use the phones for private calls, and we had a group protest so women could wear pants suits to work.

This is nothing new.

@Noel7

Sorry Noel but not where I work.....if you don't want to work according to company requirements and guidelines you don't stay employed with the company I work for....and when you are hired you sign a statement to that effect! 

One thing that management easily changed was the dress code particularly for women....no protests needed...........we quickly went from what was considered business casual (including "dress pants") to jeans on fridays to jeans and capris all the time! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

This is nothing new.

I don't think you're correct this time, Noel. It's different out there now. I'm not castigating all young people, older ones have joined them. 

It can be a subtle as this: When asked for contact information, an older person will ask if you have a home phone. A younger person seems to automatically ask for your cell phone number and seem stunned when someone answers that they have a landline and prefer to use it over their cell phone.

The group of adults in their 20's have almost always had a cell phone at their disposal and have been limited only by their cell phone plan. Text in class, text in a restaurant, text in a movie theater, text in a vehicle. Make/take calls wherever they happen to be. They go into the workforce expecting to be able to continue those practices and are stunned to find out they can't. 

It's highly irritating to be anywhere and have someone tell you "Excuse me, I have to take this call" as they look at their cell phone. No, they don't.  To turn around and see someone who is supposed to be working using their personal cell phone to text. I had a repairman here at the house take a personal call when he was supposed to be working on my appliance. ????  He wasn't in his 20s either. 

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

This is nothing new.

@Noel7

Sorry Noel but not where I work.....if you don't want to work according to company requirements and guidelines you don't stay employed with the company I work for....and when you are hired you sign a statement to that effect! 

One thing that management easily changed was the dress code particularly for women....no protests needed...........we quickly went from what was considered business casual (including "dress pants") to jeans on fridays to jeans and capris all the time! 

@Spurt

I wasn't commenting on where you work, I was talking about where *I* worked decades ago, and I was making the point it was the same THEN as it is now, in that young workers were the same then as people here complain about now.

Young people haven't changed, it's that older people seem to forget the realities of what has always been.

And surely you know that not all business places are the same?  The Silicon Valley pretty much all provide amenities like candy bins for workers to dip into, sleeping nooks for anyone who wants a nap, skateboards for inside the offices, etc.

See, not all businesses are alike.

Chrystaltree is right, the young people of today are learning to make their way in the working world, just as we all did.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

@Spurt

I like your example and am going to share it with the other mentors.

"Totally agree and to put it in another perspective...How would THEY feel if their smartphone, smartTV, or internet required repair, and the person repairing their items wasn't working and instead was playing on their phone, but charging THEM per hour???????????????????????"

@Abrowneyegirl @Noel7

Glad the example.....glad I could help....Woman Very Happy

I'm not saying that all millenials are awful people, their perspective on the real world isn't accurate though....  I'll give you an example, a friend's daughter is 24, always been a hard worker, when going to college she worked 2 part-time jobs---she even didnt mind working nights and weekends when the rest of her friends were partying.....However, she did get fired on one for job for.....guess what....being on her cell phone (even though she finished her work).....And even now that she has graduated from college and has a good, excellent salary and benefits, she gets in trouble for taking too long lunch hours, and she has come in late to work because what was she doing ....she was up all night texting with her friends so she didn't hear the alarm.  She works hard and has to work lots of overtime during her companies businest times, and she does that well and never complains, she's a good kid, .(she even enjoys hainging out with us "crazy old ladies") but we try to mentor her and tell her to keep her phone in perspective and put her job first, good jobs are hard to find these days.....

Esteemed Contributor

No it hasn't always been this way.

Far from it.......!

Respected Contributor

You can have anything made up these days.

Esty item.

il_570xN.987802650_oenp.jpg