Honored Contributor

Re: Where do I get a giant "Life is Not Fair" sign?

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

These days, "entry-level" jobs often require a bachelor's or master's degree.  When you think about it, the fact that one would have to attend school for 4-6 years after high school to get a job that someone out of high school used to be able to get is pretty irritating.  I think the mindset is that those 4-6 years were the "dues" they were supposed to be paying, and when will the work they put in start to pay off.

My mother got a job as an accountant with a high school diploma, by "working her way up" (and it didn't take 4 years).  That would never happen these days.  These days, a person would have to go to college for 4 years to even have a chance at getting that exact same job title...if they beat out 200 other applicants.

The gripes may seem petty, but the feeling is that the work is neverending with not much reward in sight.  In other words, "if I have to cover the amount of work that used to be done by 3 people (for the same wage), can I at least have access to Facebook?"

If you are doing the work of three people, you wouldn't have time to do Facebook.

I respect that they have the educations they have, but it was their hard working parents that allowed them to do what we didn't or couldn't.  We wanted better for our children.  I feel that somewhere along the way we messed up the meaning of hard work pays off.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

What many of you have spoke of is called  "Soft Skills"

It is a skill set that many YP are lacking and employers are frustrated with.

Soft Skills:

Empathy for a customer, consumer or client

Ability to 'read' a situation

Identify an address a problem or concern before it becomes a crisis

Communication and intercommunication skills.

Intercommunication skills is a tough one as so very many of our youth do not talk or have face to face conversations, they do everything via technology.  

A business graduate with a MBA is useless to a company if he/she can not explain, educate and lead a team to complete a project or goal. 

A CEO said to me recently, "I am tired of expensive, top of the class college degree people who can put together a beautiful Power Point presentation filled with graphs and charts, but does not know the difference between there, their and they're. I need people who can think on their feet and  can identify or address the needs of our clients. My admin can do Power Point,  for a third of the $$$ and with proper grammar."

His company ( a major company) is globally going to research more 'apprenctice' type programs with on the job training.   The thought is it would be less expensive and more product to hire hard-working, eager, trainable employees and pay for their education as they prove themselves on the job.

Interesting concept.......

Honored Contributor

@kdgn wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN THAT WAY

Please, stop with the incessant attacks on younger people.

It was that way decades ago when I got my first professional job.  People complained about not being able to use the phones for private calls, and we had a group protest so women could wear pants suits to work.

This is nothing new.

I don't think you're correct this time, Noel. It's different out there now. I'm not castigating all young people, older ones have joined them. 

It can be a subtle as this: When asked for contact information, an older person will ask if you have a home phone. A younger person seems to automatically ask for your cell phone number and seem stunned when someone answers that they have a landline and prefer to use it over their cell phone.

The group of adults in their 20's have almost always had a cell phone at their disposal and have been limited only by their cell phone plan. Text in class, text in a restaurant, text in a movie theater, text in a vehicle. Make/take calls wherever they happen to be. They go into the workforce expecting to be able to continue those practices and are stunned to find out they can't. 

It's highly irritating to be anywhere and have someone tell you "Excuse me, I have to take this call" as they look at their cell phone. No, they don't.  To turn around and see someone who is supposed to be working using their personal cell phone to text. I had a repairman here at the house take a personal call when he was supposed to be working on my appliance. ????  He wasn't in his 20s either. 

@kdgn

You make an excellent point so true............it may have started with generation x,y, and millieanials and their expertise with technology.........but it now has spread to ALL ages.  You see it not only in the work place,but also see people driving and texting, in grocery stores, movie theatres, shopping centers....I guess that's another topic...addiction to smart phones can't be a second without it!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@game-on wrote:

I would like to address those of you who are being negative toward professors..... I taught for a few years at a minority college.  I worked my tail off to bring my students up to par academically and help them learn some basic skills to face what I thought they would need to go out and live in the real world.  I taught in the area of language arts, psychology, communication, etc.   I believe these skills are very important in procuring jobs as well as performing jobs .... and dealing with one another in life. 

Assignments were given that helped the students think about their lives, their goals, their hopes, etc.  I was going to college myself to get a PhD in Counseling Psychology and I had a license to practice.... so when they had problems I was competent to listen to them and guide them....

I went to several colleges/universities during my life.... and found some very knowledgeable people who were not there to just dispense knowledge but also who were giving much to this world in many areas.  I tip my hat to these learned, caring people who contribute to the world in ways that make this world a better place, IMO.  I know they made my world better.

I don't care for the knocks on professors, I've had many in my family, and they were devoted to imparting knowledge to their students. As for me, I always felt that my real education began in college. Not only did I learn about my chosen profession, but I got a greater understanding of the world in general.Thanks for what you did.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@game-on wrote:

I would like to address those of you who are being negative toward professors..... I taught for a few years at a minority college.  I worked my tail off to bring my students up to par academically and help them learn some basic skills to face what I thought they would need to go out and live in the real world.  I taught in the area of language arts, psychology, communication, etc.   I believe these skills are very important in procuring jobs as well as performing jobs .... and dealing with one another in life. 

Assignments were given that helped the students think about their lives, their goals, their hopes, etc.  I was going to college myself to get a PhD in Counseling Psychology and I had a license to practice.... so when they had problems I was competent to listen to them and guide them....

I went to several colleges/universities during my life.... and found some very knowledgeable people who were not there to just dispense knowledge but also who were giving much to this world in many areas.  I tip my hat to these learned, caring people who contribute to the world in ways that make this world a better place, IMO.  I know they made my world better.

I don't care for the knocks on professors, I've had many in my family, and they were devoted to imparting knowledge to their students. As for me, I always felt that my real education began in college. Not only did I learn about my chosen profession, but I got a greater understanding of the world in general.Thanks for what you did.

You both are right in what you did and tried to do.  Thank you for that.  The problem is much deeper.

Many educators don't have the commitment or desire to do the same.  They don't even show up for classes because of this or that, which they tell the students that they are responible for.  These students are not happy, but they remember that ...Hey, they got away with it so I can, too.

The same thing is now happening in "the real world".

I deal with these people daily. 

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Esteemed Contributor

@Preds wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

These days, "entry-level" jobs often require a bachelor's or master's degree.  When you think about it, the fact that one would have to attend school for 4-6 years after high school to get a job that someone out of high school used to be able to get is pretty irritating.  I think the mindset is that those 4-6 years were the "dues" they were supposed to be paying, and when will the work they put in start to pay off.

My mother got a job as an accountant with a high school diploma, by "working her way up" (and it didn't take 4 years).  That would never happen these days.  These days, a person would have to go to college for 4 years to even have a chance at getting that exact same job title...if they beat out 200 other applicants.

The gripes may seem petty, but the feeling is that the work is neverending with not much reward in sight.  In other words, "if I have to cover the amount of work that used to be done by 3 people (for the same wage), can I at least have access to Facebook?"

If you are doing the work of three people, you wouldn't have time to do Facebook.

I respect that they have the educations they have, but it was their hard working parents that allowed them to do what we didn't or couldn't.  We wanted better for our children.  I feel that somewhere along the way we messed up the meaning of hard work pays off.

When you work at a place that doesn't offer breaks, sometimes that's all you get.  It doesn't mean you're not a hard worker.  (Personally, I don't even own a smartphone.)

And yes, I do feel that older generations have to take some of the blame if their kids turn out lazy and entitled.  People aren't fundamentally different than they were generations ago, but their environments during their formative years were.

But will there ever come a day when older people will praise the younger generations for their hard work and progress?  Not likely.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

What many of you have spoke of is called  "Soft Skills"

It is a skill set that many YP are lacking and employers are frustrated with.

Soft Skills:

Empathy for a customer, consumer or client

Ability to 'read' a situation

Identify an address a problem or concern before it becomes a crisis

Communication and intercommunication skills.

Intercommunication skills is a tough one as so very many of our youth do not talk or have face to face conversations, they do everything via technology.  

A business graduate with a MBA is useless to a company if he/she can not explain, educate and lead a team to complete a project or goal. 

A CEO said to me recently, "I am tired of expensive, top of the class college degree people who can put together a beautiful Power Point presentation filled with graphs and charts, but does not know the difference between there, their and they're. I need people who can think on their feet and  can identify or address the needs of our clients. My admin can do Power Point,  for a third of the $$$ and with proper grammar."

His company ( a major company) is globally going to research more 'apprenctice' type programs with on the job training.   The thought is it would be less expensive and more product to hire hard-working, eager, trainable employees and pay for their education as they prove themselves on the job.

Interesting concept.......

@Abrowneyegirl

Great Post!  

One of the big tech companies here is working with high schools and providing apprenticeships.  It sounds like a good way for a company to get the future skilled employees they need and efficient and economical way to provide training. . 

When you talked about the "soft skills" I was talking with a friend and we were discussing this issue.  When I was in school we were taught "The Scientific Method" which taught us to first identify the problem and work on the solution.  This incorporates several of the "soft skills" you mentioned.  Today, there is no problem, instead it's called a "challenge".  To me the difference is a problem MUST be SOLVED or the situation is going to get worse, or you will have to live with serious unresolved consequences.  Whereas a challenge is something that you can take or leave---you can  shoot for (aim for it), if you hit your target---good for you, but if you can't handle it, well at least you tried and you walk away with a "participation trophy"..............

It reminds me of a problem that a friend of mine is having with a medical condition, the doctor's cant figure out what it is, so all they do is treat her symptoms with medication, which doesn't work all that well.  They won't run the tests to determine what the root of the problem is, and the situation is not being resolved and she suffers.  It just reminds me of the way things are working in the business world today.  If employees can't communicate or use inter-communicate skills then they can't "read" a situation, which means that can't identify a problem before it turns into a crisis, and if these interlocking parts arent working, they show a lack of empathy, throw up their hands quit and say "it's your problem" and walk away..........And that's the problem many employers are facing today, and sadly I think its going to get worse as skilled tenured baby boomers retire!

Nice chatting with you.......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl... 

I like your spunk, lady ...

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

@chrystaltree

Thank you and how many volunteer hours to you provide our YP of today??

I am a 40 something thank you!  

I do and have YEARS of experience managing people of ALL ages, I have managed 100's of employees.  

It was several of my mentees and interns that have nominated me to be one of mentors of this group. 

I do remember being the new girl and no:

I NEVER threatened to sue my employer over a dress code that I did not like.

I NEVER complained that I went to college to avoid hard work.

I NEVER whined that my boss had a nicer office then me.

(all things I have heard in the last 2 weeks from our YP)  

I was not exaggerating in my OP- many of our YP literally think they need an attorney to sue over everything they think is unfair and illegal.

I was never a clock watcher, I never did as little a possible to get the job done.  I take pride in my work and I care about what I do.   I am trying to encourage and promote our young working professionals (esp women).

I do not take positions based on what they pay as I have witnessed that $$$$ is not everything.

Anyway, I will ask again, since you are so 'on the pulse' with our young workers how much time do you spend a month volunteering your services?

Honored Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

When you work at a place that doesn't offer breaks, sometimes that's all you get.  It doesn't mean you're not a hard worker.  (Personally, I don't even own a smartphone.)

And yes, I do feel that older generations have to take some of the blame if their kids turn out lazy and entitled.  People aren't fundamentally different than they were generations ago, but their environments during their formative years were.

But will there ever come a day when older people will praise the younger generations for their hard work and progress?  Not likely.

Yes, @mistriTsquirrel ... I do respect the progress that the younger generations bring to us "old school" people.  I know that we made them, but I'm waiting on the time that they respect the gift of experience that we leave with them. 

We do have a few that will actually thank us for helping them further their knowledge. I'm proud for them.  They worked hard for what they got and seem to respect how and why they got there.  It's the YOU OWE ME people that get me fired up. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Preds wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

Yes, @mistriTsquirrel ... I do respect the progress that the younger generations bring to us "old school" people.  I know that we made them, but I'm waiting on the time that they respect the gift of experience that we leave with them. 

We do have a few that will actually thank us for helping them further their knowledge. I'm proud for them.  They worked hard for what they got and seem to respect how and why they got there.  It's the YOU OWE ME people that get me fired up. 

@Preds  There are "you owe me" people in every age group.  There are also young people who thank their elders.  But this thread is about bashing young people.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org