Respected Contributor

Re: Where do I get a giant "Life is Not Fair" sign?

@SaRina wrote:

Maybe you could have a discussion on why we have laws in this country. Ask them to respond to that question. Then add that we have rules in the workplace and ask them why they think that is so. Perhaps if they volunteer the answers, the light bulbs will go on.

This.

We really try to engage them to think beyond themselves and what they want.  Once they start to 'talk it out" as group light bulbs go off (for some)  lol Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Now-a-days It's (entitlement) probably taught in schools, colleges, too.  Everyone is equal at the top level.  Nobody in the middle, nobody below.  Everyone at the top, money/job-wise.   We learned, more or less, to start at the bottom and learn our way upward.  Experience, experience, experience.   The most experienced taught the entrance level employees.   Oh, well............It is what it is today.  Let's see how that works out in the long run. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Before I retired  worked with some millennial and I always admired their tech savvy. New technology was hard for me, I got it but it took awhile. That being said it became tiresome to keep telling them to put their $&@#% phones away. They were good kids, but didn't seem to grasp that we were there to work, all day. I knew it was time for me to go.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@Preds wrote:

It's worse when you work with these people.  Even my DD has said she deserves this or that because of her education and shouldn't have to work as hard as me, or her father for the things we earned and achieved.  What?  I just shake my head and wonder ... did we cause this or it is a peer mentality?  Or both?

Both.  It's a perfect storm.

But I know some 50 somethings who are always kvetching about what's fair.

So maybe it's contagious, too.

Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Now-a-days It's (entitlement) probably taught in schools, colleges, too.  Everyone is equal at the top level.  Nobody in the middle, nobody below.  Everyone at the top, money/job-wise.   We learned, more or less, to start at the bottom and learn our way upward.  Experience, experience, experience.   The most experienced taught the entrance level employees.   Oh, well............It is what it is today.  Let's see how that works out in the long run. 

That's what does make it "fun" to go in to work right now.  Just watching the "show" @ROMARY.  Then smiling when they need "old school" help. 

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Esteemed Contributor

These days, "entry-level" jobs often require a bachelor's or master's degree.  When you think about it, the fact that one would have to attend school for 4-6 years after high school to get a job that someone out of high school used to be able to get is pretty irritating.  I think the mindset is that those 4-6 years were the "dues" they were supposed to be paying, and when will the work they put in start to pay off.

My mother got a job as an accountant with a high school diploma, by "working her way up" (and it didn't take 4 years).  That would never happen these days.  These days, a person would have to go to college for 4 years to even have a chance at getting that exact same job title...if they beat out 200 other applicants.

The gripes may seem petty, but the feeling is that the work is neverending with not much reward in sight.  In other words, "if I have to cover the amount of work that used to be done by 3 people (for the same wage), can I at least have access to Facebook?"

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

@Preds wrote:

It's worse when you work with these people.  Even my DD has said she deserves this or that because of her education and shouldn't have to work as hard as me, or her father for the things we earned and achieved.  What?  I just shake my head and wonder ... did we cause this or it is a peer mentality?  Or both?

You bring up an interesting point Preds.

From what we have heard from most of our YP is that college professors encourage 'lots of education' so that they will not have to work hard 'for the rest of their lives.'

Many YP report they "worked hard in college, to avoid 'this kind of work"    ??!!!???

In the world of academia professors get lots of education so they can get tenure and paid to share their knowledge, BUT they forget that for those who are not teaching we are working hard and long hours.   When kids enter the workforce they are happy to report, "I learned that in college." but when you ask them have the DONE it?  They looked shocked and offended,

I remind our YP of examples such as, cardiac surgeons have a lot of education but they still work hard, stressful jobs everyday.  

@Abrowneyegirl

I worry about our so called universities and colleges---some of these professors have no clue on what the REAL WORLD is like.  Most of the YP seem to major in psychology or other subjects where there are few opportunities in real life for jobs or career growth---  So YP end up in a job where they are unhappy ---THEY HAVE TO DO SOME WORK---instead of playing on their phones or buying things on the internet!!!---IMAGINE THAT!!!  What the professor should be saying---get a job like mine---so they dont have to work hard (only talking about college/university professors, and definitely NOT those teaching elementary, middle school, and high school---those teachers work so hard and have to put up with so much today--totally thank YOU for what you do!) , ..........  

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

Before I retired  worked with some millennial and I always admired their tech savvy. New technology was hard for me, I got it but it took awhile. That being said it became tiresome to keep telling them to put their $&@#% phones away. They were good kids, but didn't seem to grasp that we were there to work, all day. I knew it was time for me to go.

We had a Company Meeting and the Directors had made a powerpoint presentation explaining how the company was doing and broke down how the bonuses were calculated, etc. The entire time a new employee who is in his 20s sat through the entire meeting checking and clicking on his phone.

Sadly he is not the exception. I can not wait until I retire. 

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

We had a Company Meeting and the Directors had made a powerpoint presentation explaining how the company was doing and broke down how the bonuses were calculated, etc. The entire time a new employee who is in his 20s sat through the entire meeting checking and clicking on his phone.

Sadly he is not the exception. I can not wait until I retire. 

Yes, this 1000 times ! When you try to explain why this is wrong, they just give you this uncomprehending look.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

It sounds like you are woefully out of touch with the younger generation and you don't remember yourelf when you were their age.  It worries me that someone so out of touch is coaching for interviews.  First, there's no shortage of 40 year olds and 50 year olds who complain ad nauseum about everything that doesn't pelase them or make them happy.  20somethings are just out of college, it's the first real job for many of them.  They are accustomed to being students, they are accustomed to a certain amount of freedom and individualism.  There's learning curve for those young people.  You think you have it hard for the few hours you have them...lol  Try being their manager or supervisor for that first year...lol   It's life, just as they had learn to cross the street and learn to drive and learn how to write a reseach paper....they have to learn the ins and outs of the working world.  I would think that someone who chose to be their mentor would understand that.