Respected Contributor

Where do I get a giant "Life is Not Fair" sign?

Or perhaps a button that I can press, like the Staples "that was easy" button.

I volunteer with a young professional group; we do interview coaching, mentoring, etc for younger professionals.  Our group are all college educated, majority with multiple degrees.

The one COMMON and REGULAR compliant is "my employer is unfair, is this legal?"

Everything is illegal to this age group.

Recent horrors included:

~Not being able to wear open toed shoes.  This apparently violates their freedom of expression and must not be legal.

~"The president of the company has XYZ and I don't, that's not fair. This is discrimination and is illegal."

~They are only allowed to use cell phones on break-times!!  

~Work computers block Facebook and other social media sites.  How dare they!!

We (the mentors) are trying to focus them on self improvement and reflection as we note that too much of their time is spent on what others have as this is causing them frustration that will never end.

This is a very hard task.  Life to date has taught them everything is fair, equal and their RIGHT or FREEDOM.  They want everything NOW and when they get it, they not happy- they move on next, I need it now........

((((Sigh))))

Where is my flashing sign?

Honored Contributor

Re: Where do I get a giant "Life is Not Fair" sign?

Time to retire. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

It's worse when you work with these people.  Even my DD has said she deserves this or that because of her education and shouldn't have to work as hard as me, or her father for the things we earned and achieved.  What?  I just shake my head and wonder ... did we cause this or it is a peer mentality?  Or both?

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

I hear you.  I call them the entitlement group.

I used to work in HR and we disciplined one guy for using a company credit card to buy licquor.  He contested because co-workers were coming to town and he felt he needed to entertain them.  Where I worked you were not supposed to log onto any websites other than work related, and not use the phones for personal conversations other than emergencies.  Another place I work wouldn't let you have tatoos showing.  Times have certainly changed.

Honored Contributor

You are doing a great service~!   Please keep it up!  The result isn't their fault but they will feel the effects for their entire lifetime unless they take your group's suggestions and advice to heart.  It won't be easy ....because life isn't fair at all!. Everyone doesn't win and not everyone gets to own the best and most expensive because none of it is "owed" to them simply by virtue of being alive.  It isn't even a given if you get a good job and work your tail off...  

It's one of the worst disservices made on the generation that you're trying to help.... it really is.  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

Maybe you could have a discussion on why we have laws in this country. Ask them to respond to that question. Then add that we have rules in the workplace and ask them why they think that is so. Perhaps if they volunteer the answers, the light bulbs will go on.

Honored Contributor

When I stated "it isn't their fault".... I'm stating that because they grew up where everyone won a trophy so no one would feel badly.  That kind of thing.... everyone's a winner, you're entitled to this or that.... this is taught behavior.   Even in family units, oftimes this is taught without even realizing it....   

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl I think it's very good advice that you have these young people focus on their invdividual professionalism and what each can bring to the job.  It is impossible to change a coorporate/workplace culture.  If they don't like it, then move on, but until they do so, do their absolute best.   One can't feel bad about that.

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Respected Contributor

@Preds wrote:

It's worse when you work with these people.  Even my DD has said she deserves this or that because of her education and shouldn't have to work as hard as me, or her father for the things we earned and achieved.  What?  I just shake my head and wonder ... did we cause this or it is a peer mentality?  Or both?

You bring up an interesting point Preds.

From what we have heard from most of our YP is that college professors encourage 'lots of education' so that they will not have to work hard 'for the rest of their lives.'

Many YP report they "worked hard in college, to avoid 'this kind of work"    ??!!!???

In the world of academia professors get lots of education so they can get tenure and paid to share their knowledge, BUT they forget that for those who are not teaching we are working hard and long hours.   When kids enter the workforce they are happy to report, "I learned that in college." but when you ask them have the DONE it?  They looked shocked and offended,

I remind our YP of examples such as, cardiac surgeons have a lot of education but they still work hard, stressful jobs everyday.  

Honored Contributor

Have you considered making your own sign on a big sheet of butcher paper?