Esteemed Contributor

Re: Where Will You Be During the Eclipse? Home? At Work? Looking at the Sky?

@Tsukiko wrote:

It was explained in the news that the rays of the sun aren't any different during the eclipse, it's just that since this is a rare occurence many may be tempted to try to catch a glimpse to see the phenomenon. That's it, period. I got my glasses last week and I stared directly at the sun with them. Guess what? I'm sitting here typing this. If there are any spelling errors I promise you it's not because I'm going blind. I just don't feel like proof reading. 😬

SOOOO funny!!! @Tsukiko

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Frequent Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

Ordinarily when someone looks at the sun, it's bright and we look away. I think the panic is because the sun will be hidden - or mostly hidden - people won't be "blinded" by it and won't look away. They won't realize how dangerous it is so they will keep looking for a longer time. I'm talking about people who are not paying much attention to what's going on. 

If you can't get the glasses, welders' goggles from a hardware store are a good alternative. 

I hope to be "looking at the sky"! Smiley Wink

@beach-mom

Excellent points.

However not all welders goggles are safe.

@patbz

https://eclipse2017. nasa dot gov /safety

Viewing with Protection -- Experts suggests that one widely available filter for safe solar viewing is welders glass of sufficiently high number.

The only ones that are safe for direct viewing of the Sun with your eyes are those of Shade 12 or higher.

These are much darker than the filters used for most kinds of welding. If you have an old welder's helmet around the house and are thinking of using it to view the Sun, make sure you know the filter's shade number.

If it's less than 12 (and it probably is), don't even think about using it to look at the Sun.

Many people find the Sun too bright even in a Shade 12 filter, and some find the Sun too dim in a Shade 14 filter — but Shade 13 filters are uncommon and can be hard to find. The AAS Reputable Vendors of Solar Filters & Viewers page(link is external) doesn't list any suppliers of welder's filters, only suppliers of special-purpose filters made for viewing the Sun. To find out more about eyewear and handheld viewers go to https: // eclipse dot aas dot org/eye-safety/eyewear-viewers

Trusted Contributor

On a raft, in my pool, with my glasses. Knowing me, I'll probably sleep through most of it.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bandwife23 wrote:

Hubby & I will be at work. We both work at a high school.  Faculty & staff will take the few kids who do show up out to the stadium w/approved glasses to watch the eclipse.  Several have planned to bring snacks and just make it a fun day since we have to be there, lol! Some schools in our area are out that day but our system isn't. However, the parents were given the choice to keep their kids home that day w/o it counting as an unexcused absence. A lot of kids stated they weren't coming, so who knows how many will show up Monday morning!

Honestly, I think they should have just canceled. We are one of the areas where they expect a heavy influx of people (up to 100,000). When I left school yesterday, the traffic was already crazy, gas had shot up and a cashier at Kroger said they'd been busy all day long. A city that's an hour from us is the epicenter for the eclipse in KY. A sorority sister of mine who teaches there said they've called off school Monday AND Tuesday. I told hubby it'll be interesting to see how long it takes us to get home Monday. We usually have a 15 min drive! Smiley Indifferent

My brother-in-law's sister is  teacher and they chose to operate on a half day.  They said in this day of a  litigation happy world, no way are they gonna chance anyone looking into the sky with or without glasses.  Said the staff was asked their opinion and all said they don't want to be responsible for it so let the parents worry about it - sounds about right to me!

Super Contributor

I will be in my house in St. Louis.

I am a little nervous about the eclipse.  It may be irrational, but I see I am not alone.

I will probably peek out at the ground when it gets dark.

Esteemed Contributor

I will carry on as usual, doing my daily things; hopefully, doing some nature photography in a butterfly garden somewhere. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The sun will be 98.5% covered here, not quite total. I will be outside soaking in the experience, but not looking at the sun. In 1994, there was an annular eclipse, and the shadows on the ground were weird and interesting--beneath the trees, shadows of the eclipse were everywhere! The atmosphere was weird and eerie. I expect the near total eclipse to be an equally interesting experience. 

For those who want to see the eclipse without looking at the sun, remember you can stand by a tree and look at the ground. You'll see images of the eclipse. Very cool.

Honored Contributor

In my driveway.  Probably getting rained on.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@patbz wrote:

Don't forget to bring your pets inside, as well.

Why are people going off the deep end  about pets?

It is the same sun we have every day. pents do not know its an event and they do not look into the sun. They do not know what a sun even is  because they are animals. LOL  There is no harm to pets. The worst thing that can happen is they get tricked into thinking it is bed time.

Respected Contributor

I live in the path of totality and it was breathtaking!

It was dark as midnight for about a minute  and the sun looked like a glowing ring.  No glasses needed at this point.  It was so beautiful  like an act of god. It is AMAZING that this is all mother nature  natural occurring event.