Honored Contributor

Re: Where Should I Go On Vacation?

Sedona is a SMALL town.......about 10,000 pop.    It's beautiful, and if you are an "outdoors" person, the sightseeing  is magnificent,  but not known for "nightlife".    I wouldn't recommend longer than a weekend.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Valued Contributor

When you say museums and galleries New york came to mind but its so cold at this time and you want warm weather. Have you considered tropical places? We went to Jamaica and loved it so much. Or you can try Florida as others suggessted. 

~No act of kindness, no matter how small is ever wasted~ Aesop
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous032819 

That's wonderful you are taking a vacation. I know you must be excited! 

If you like history and are planning on taking this trip in the next four months or so I would highly recommend St. Augustine Florida. I absolutely love that place. So much to do, and you can find a reasonable hotel directly on St. Augustine Beach, and still be close to historical St. Augustine downtown. We try to make a trip there every other year. If you want to avoid the super humidity though I would get your trip in before mid March.

Fernindina Beach, Florida is also another interesting little get away (again with a historical flare as well).  

Smiley Happy

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Super Contributor

Since you don’t specify when you plan to go and whether or not you plan to travel in the U.S. or venture outside of the country, it’s a little difficult to offer suggestions.  That said, since you mention Sedona, I will assume that the Southwest is someplace you are interested in.  I loved Sedona and, although it’s a small town, I think there’s a lot to do there.  Hiking trails, pink Jeep tours, day trips to many other sites.  It really is a beautiful spot.  I also loved Santa Fe.  We combined Santa Fe with a road trip up through Durango Colorado and on to Zion National Park in Utah and it was spectacular.  

Another great place is Monument Valley in Arizona/Utah.  I’ve been fortunate to travel to many places all over the world, and Monument Valley was one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever seen.

Another suggestion would be the Canadian Rockies.  We stayed in Banff, which is an hour outside of Calgary.  The scenery was beyond beautiful.  One of my best travel memories of all time was seeing Moraine Lake.  Photos do not do it justice.  One of my favorite trips.

You mention wanting somewhere warm, and I think San Juan Puerto Rico might fit the bill.  I loved the food, the people, everything.  

Might I also suggest a trip to my neck of the woods, New England.  A summer trip here would be quite memorable, I think.  The coast of Maine is beautiful as are the Berkshire’s in Massachusetts and Newport in Rhode Island.  I think Newport is really underrated.  There is a lot to see and do and the setting is spectacular.  I almost forgot to mention Boston.  It’s a small city and very walkable.  History is everywhere and dinner in the North End is something to remember.

Wherever you go, I hope you love every minute of your vacation!

Esteemed Contributor

I'll try to answer some questions that have been asked.

I am 49

I am single

I prefer to stay in the U.S.

the hottest place that I have visited was Palm Springs, Ca, in the summer when it got up to 116.

I plan on traveling solo

My preferred travel period is mid spring to early fall

Thank-you everyone for your wonderful suggestions, as it has given me something to think about!

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 Oh I do hope you will come back and let us know where you decide to take your well earned vacation!!

Super Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I'll try to answer some questions that have been asked.

I am 49

I am single

I prefer to stay in the U.S.

the hottest place that I have visited was Palm Springs, Ca, in the summer when it got up to 116.

I plan on traveling solo

My preferred travel period is mid spring to early fall

Thank-you everyone for your wonderful suggestions, as it has given me something to think about!

Are you thinking that you’d like to stay in one place or do you want to drive around a bit?  If I were going to stay in one place I would probably pick some place like San Francisco.  There’s a lot to do there, but you could also take day trips to many other places.  If you don’t want to drive, there are many tour companies that offer trips.  For example,you could take a day trip to wine country (I loved Sonoma) and another day you could go to Muir Woods.  

I know you said you want to stay in The U.S., but I would also recommend Quebec City and Montreal.  It’s not a long flight, and yet you feel like you’re in Europe.  

So many wonderful places to visit.  Have fun planning your trip!

Honored Contributor

Grab a good girl friend and go to Hawaii!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819.  I strongly recommend a cruise to Alaska next summer, possibly in September after school has started.  I've been twice and think it's perfect for a single lady who is not an experienced traveler.  You move into your cabin and never have to move again.  You eat meals in the same place, possibly with the same people.

There's nice entertainment pre-planned in nightly shows.  

The scenery is beyond breathtaking and will amaze you.  There's plenty of opportunity for adventurous excursions off the ship, wonderful meals, you won't want to come home.

Now is the time to make reservations.  You want a cabin with a balcony so you can see whales, porpoises and the scenery.  I know I loved it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

If you have never visited our nation’s capital, I think it is an excellent choice for spring travel.  

The national mall museums are free.  Everything is walkable or accessible by trolley.

It’s fun to tour the House of Representatives or the Senate.  

Our monuments are amazing.  I’m always in awe of them.

Stay in Arlington, where the hotels are less expensive, and commute on the subway which is clean and safe. Or, live lavishly and stay at a fine DC hotel like the Mayflower.

Spend a day in Baltimore (take an Amtrak train) and visit the Inner Harbor.  Have breakfast at Shirley’s.

Visit Georgetown, for the busy night scene.

I never get bored visiting DC!  I always have a wonderful time. Lots to do and see.  

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela