Esteemed Contributor

Re: Where I won’t be moving!

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

I grew up in one of those boroughs called Queens.  Of course that was many, many years ago, if it was expensive I don't know.  What I do know is that it was a desirable borough to live in, particularly Richmond Hill where my parents bought the house we lived in.  

As Jordan2 said, with what NYC has to offer, it is worth the cost to live there.  We loved getting on the train to spend a day shopping or in the evening to see a Broadway play.  There were many places to see and go to.  When I moved to CA in 1965 I was homesick for two years, missed the culture of New York.

@Lindsays Grandma  Husband is from Queens. Our friends of 40 years live in Richmond Hill. 

@proudlyfromNJ ...It was a lovely area back then, I heard it isn't so nice anymore.  We lived on Kimble Ave. and it was also addressed as 127th St and Kimble Ave.  A few blocks south of Liberty Ave.  Went to Richmond Hill HS.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Linmo wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

I have visited every city on the list.  I agree they are great places to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

I like small towns and everything that goes with it.  I can be in NYC, Boston or Wash DC in a few hours...all within driving distance from me.

I love Hawaii and Honolulu and I used to love San Francisco, but now San Fran is a rats hole.  A ruined city.  It's a pity.  I hope it can come back to its greatness and beauty.

@Carmie No disrespect intended, but I totally disagree with your opinion of SF.  It has it's issues as do all major cities and I agree that it's very expensive to live here, but I've lived in the SF suburbs for over 30 years and feel very fortunate to be here.  I may not be able to retire in this area, but feel blessed to have been here for this long.

Oh, I used to love SF. It was such a beautiful city.  We used to rent a home in the Mt Davidson area and my DH would walk to the park where that big cross is...remember the cross in a Dirty Harry movie?

Love the food and the buildings and the shopping.

Now, not so much.  It is filthy with homeless people everywhere.  Dirty sidewalks and needles laying around.  Homeless people with big dogs to protect them so that you have to cross the street while they are picking the aluminum cans from the trash or the dogs growl and threaten you.

I have been pretty much all over the world and in many big cities.  The one that makes me the saddest is SF.

It is expensive, I 100%, But some areas are still gross, especially the down town area.I am glad that My husband and I have good memories of our visits, but I won't be visiting soon.

No disrespect meant, but somone needs to do something quickly.  I know many of my friends and other travelers gave up,on SF too.

Trusted Contributor

My Husband was stationed at South Weymouth Naval Air Station for 14 years.  I loved the Boston area, not the bitter cold but all the history.  

Salem is one of my favorite towns.  Definately love the North Shore more than the South Shore. 

When he retired we moved to Florida the Salary shock almost killed me.  

Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

I grew up in one of those boroughs called Queens.  Of course that was many, many years ago, if it was expensive I don't know.  What I do know is that it was a desirable borough to live in, particularly Richmond Hill where my parents bought the house we lived in.  

As Jordan2 said, with what NYC has to offer, it is worth the cost to live there.  We loved getting on the train to spend a day shopping or in the evening to see a Broadway play.  There were many places to see and go to.  When I moved to CA in 1965 I was homesick for two years, missed the culture of New York.

@Lindsays Grandma  Husband is from Queens. Our friends of 40 years live in Richmond Hill. 

@proudlyfromNJ ...It was a lovely area back then, I heard it isn't so nice anymore.  We lived on Kimble Ave. and it was also addressed as 127th St and Kimble Ave.  A few blocks south of Liberty Ave.  Went to Richmond Hill HS.

@Lindsays Grandma  I think they are 106th st. Their street seems ok, but all the neighbors look to be from another country. I don’t think they would ever move even though they could.

Honored Contributor

@Miss Pepsi wrote:

My Husband was stationed at South Weymouth Naval Air Station for 14 years.  I loved the Boston area, not the bitter cold but all the history.  

Salem is one of my favorite towns.  Definately love the North Shore more than the South Shore. 

When he retired we moved to Florida the Salary shock almost killed me.  

My daughter's inlaws relocated to FL about 10 years ago, they weren't retirees.  They intended to work.  They both said they were shocked by how low the salaries were.  They expected a regional difference in pay, but not that much.  

Honored Contributor

Salem seems to be getting a lot of thumbs up. Never thought if it as a place to visit, but it sounds interesting.

Esteemed Contributor

As my name suggests, I am a New Englander.  We live in a suburb of Hartford and love it here.  We love history and museums, and so much is here.  Our quiet town is over 300 years old, but it doesn’t take that long to drive into Boston.  

It isn’t cheap to live here, but much more reasonable than other areas mentioned.  We are blessed to be living in our original family home, and our grown children also live in CT.

We actually enjoy the winter and the change of seasons here.

The only negative are the occasional bears,  but we do live close to two game refuge areas.  I guess we have bloomed where we planted.  No matter where we have traveled, after two weeks we want to go home.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Salem seems to be getting a lot of thumbs up. Never thought if it as a place to visit, but it sounds interesting.

@AuntG   The House of the Seven Gables is there and open for tours. Nathaniel Hawthorne’s birthplace. Many witch museums and homes,etc. Cobbled streets. It is right on the water and very beautiful. Much more to see. The whole North Shore of Mass. is beautiful.

Honored Contributor

When they say NYC they really mean Manhattan not the outer boroughs where you can find areas that are generally much more affordable

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

I live in the northeast, near the coast.  I love it here and would rather live modestly than move somewhere cheaper and have to give up all the things I love about where I live.