Honored Contributor

Re: Where I won’t be moving!

Sorry ...continued ...

"For this rent I could rent a whole house in the midwest" where I eventually moved back to. But you get what you pay for. It's not nearly as interesting and exciting as Boston.
Which is located in Taxachusetts as we used to say.
Esteemed Contributor

Several years ago we seriously considered a move to DC, but decided to settle in the South.  I still like to go there from time to time for vacation.  So much to see and do! 

I loved visiting Boston.  I'd like to go back in the near future.

New York is on my bucket list, but I don't plan to visit San Fransico or Honolulu.  

I think of all the places on the OP's list as vacation spots, but wouldn't want to live there because I prefer living in a small town/rural community.  

Honored Contributor

the beauty of these cities, except for probably honolulu, is that there are other major cities that are close by that are more affordable. you can STILL enjoy these expensive cities, but live just further out. they are all so easy to access, especially if you live on the east coast.

this is one of the reasons why i love the baltimore area. i can be in DC in under an hour, philadelphia in under two hours, and NYC in about three hours. we are lucky to have great roads and great transportation systems to get us there.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I do not live far from NYC, have shopped their a few times. Last time I went I believe it was a 7% sales tax (which was many years ago), NYC is very expensive,what I would pay for an Estée Lauder product in the state i live in you could easily pay several dollars more.not quite double but near double.

Hawaii,l lived there for near 5years back in the 70's. Prices were out of the world into outer space. We were paying near $2.00 a gallon of fuel way back then. Price of meats were so expensive you learned to like Spam. That is why Hawaii is the biggest consumer of Spam, it was cheaper than meats. Back then, the meats came from New Zealand. It was very very gamey flavor . Fruits were outrageously priced. You would think sugar would be cheap HAHAHA. A 5 pound bag of sugar was $5.00 per bag. I have not been back to Hawaii since the 70's so do not know how much prices have changed. I would like to go back to visit only. My oldest child was born there.

Lived in San Francisco for 6 months. We were given lodging and were not there to long so really didn't get to know how bad prices where in that city.

Honored Contributor

I live 2.5 hours or so out of Washington DC. Prices are outrageously expensive in this area. What a house would be in the Midwest for $200,000.00 dollars it would triple the cost to live in the area. 

The only place i have not lived nor visited is Boston.

Esteemed Contributor

I live in NJ, just across from NYC. I have lived here for 47 years. I can see the Empire State building from my front bedroom windows. It does not get much better.

I am a city girl. 

Honored Contributor

@Joe1985 wrote:

I live iNorth of Boston, by the Sea. I love it here. It is the best place to live. Come for a visit. Actually, Salem, Ma

@Joe1985  One of my siblings and family live not to far from Salem. Love the North Shore and would move there but hubs says no. 

Esteemed Contributor

I grew up in one of those boroughs called Queens.  Of course that was many, many years ago, if it was expensive I don't know.  What I do know is that it was a desirable borough to live in, particularly Richmond Hill where my parents bought the house we lived in.  

As Jordan2 said, with what NYC has to offer, it is worth the cost to live there.  We loved getting on the train to spend a day shopping or in the evening to see a Broadway play.  There were many places to see and go to.  When I moved to CA in 1965 I was homesick for two years, missed the culture of New York.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

@Joe1985   We visited Salem a long while ago and I loved it.  We visited the witch museum and the house of 7 gables.  The city was very interesting.  We were at Cape Cod vacationing and I just loved that area of our country.  

Honored Contributor

I loved Boston when I visited there.  I also loved San Francisco.  My state is very expensive (home prices are very high)  When I retire, I won't go to Florida to die or Arizona.  Although of the two, I consider Arizona the better.  I consider California (weather wise) to be true paradise. I moved to L.A. at age 8 & followed my father's university teaching career there. I lived in L.A.  and though I still miss it, the cost of living is very, very high there.  I also lived in San Jose, California.  Same reason very high home prices and cost of living.