Honored Contributor

Re: Where I won’t be moving!

@Pearlee wrote:
I used to live in Boston and loved every minute of it except for the crazy drivers with "no fault" insurance. There was so much to do there, so many great universities and museums and so much history! But it was so expensive to live there! For quite a while I lived in a studio apartment and kept thinking "for this rent I could lic

Anyway...

Loved, loved my visist to Boston!  I liked every part of it.  I haven't been there in the winter though and I know it's harsh!!   Snow, etc. How cold does it get?

Valued Contributor

All of these places have a lot to offer.

I lived in NY for many years, and there is no place like it, warts and all.

There is a reason "affordable" cities are adfordable.

Valued Contributor

sorry....affordable.  Fast-moving fingers

Super Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:
I used to live in Boston and loved every minute of it except for the crazy drivers with "no fault" insurance. There was so much to do there, so many great universities and museums and so much history! But it was so expensive to live there! For quite a while I lived in a studio apartment and kept thinking "for this rent I could lic

Anyway...

Loved, loved my visist to Boston!  I liked every part of it.  I haven't been there in the winter though and I know it's harsh!!   Snow, etc. How cold does it get?

I live north of Boston, very close to the New Hampshire border.  Normally, our winters are very cold, in the 20s and 30s much of the time, and sometimes in the teens.  We also tend to get quite a bit of snow.  We can usually expect several storms in the 5 inch+ range, along with a blizzard (or two).  This winter, however, has been a breeze (it's not over yet, so I'm probably tempting fate!).  We've had little snow, with just one storm over 5 inches, and a few others of lesser amounts.  There is almost no snow on the ground, and today was in the mid 50's.  Tomorrow it is projected to reach 60 degrees.  Really crazy weather, but I'm not complaining!

Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

I grew up in one of those boroughs called Queens.  Of course that was many, many years ago, if it was expensive I don't know.  What I do know is that it was a desirable borough to live in, particularly Richmond Hill where my parents bought the house we lived in.  

As Jordan2 said, with what NYC has to offer, it is worth the cost to live there.  We loved getting on the train to spend a day shopping or in the evening to see a Broadway play.  There were many places to see and go to.  When I moved to CA in 1965 I was homesick for two years, missed the culture of New York.

@Lindsays Grandma  Husband is from Queens. Our friends of 40 years live in Richmond Hill. 

Valued Contributor

Of all the places in the United States, New York city is my favorite. I would love to live there.

We lived in upstate New York for a couple of years, and it was very nice, but New York city is where I would want to be half-time, London the other half.

Esteemed Contributor

In March, daughter will be transferring from San Francisco to Newark, NJ (airline employee) and will live in Jersey City with 4 friends from her training days. Excited for many reasons. I'm looking forward to exploring the Northeast in the near future. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@songbird. @ZoetheCat 's description of the winter weather is how I remember Boston winters. Yes, cold and lots of snow!
Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I have visited every city on the list.  I agree they are great places to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

I like small towns and everything that goes with it.  I can be in NYC, Boston or Wash DC in a few hours...all within driving distance from me.

I love Hawaii and Honolulu and I used to love San Francisco, but now San Fran is a rats hole.  A ruined city.  It's a pity.  I hope it can come back to its greatness and beauty.

@Carmie No disrespect intended, but I totally disagree with your opinion of SF.  It has it's issues as do all major cities and I agree that it's very expensive to live here, but I've lived in the SF suburbs for over 30 years and feel very fortunate to be here.  I may not be able to retire in this area, but feel blessed to have been here for this long.

Honored Contributor

jeanlake

I was born and raised in Jersey City, right across the river from Manhattan.  I attended school, grammar and high, until college and then worked in the school system, in fact in the high school I graduated from.

I still see girlfriends from grammar school and we always talk about our times hanging out and going to NY often.  We share such happy memories and absolutely no regrets of city living.  Now I am in a small town not far from Jersey City and I know one thing for sure, I am and always will be a city woman!  

I hope your daughter's experience at JC will be as wonderful as mine and my friends.