Super Contributor

Where Do You Search Online For Items Other Than eBay?

[ Edited ]

Hi Everyone,

I recently lost out on something I badly wanted on a celebrity website (the one and only Tom Petty!), and keep hoping I'll find it online somewhere but so far, absolutely no luck which has me bumming - thought for sure with it being Holiday themed, someone would have snatched one or two up lol and put it up perhaps, on eBay, but again having no luck - Etsy doesn't seem to be working either- are there any other social media platforms to check out?
Thanks so much for any help!

Honored Contributor

Re: Where Do You Search Online For Items Other Than eBay?

Be careful. There are a lot of fake sites out there who are happy to take your money, send you a virus, steal your credit/debit card info, or obtain personal information.

Every so often, I'll do a google search to see if I can find something but I never click on or buy from a site I don't personally know. When I'm done, I always delete history, cookies, and cache. 

I investigated fraud for 20 years. The odds that one will hit a fraudulent site is greater than hitting a legitimate site these days.

Esteemed Contributor

Not sure what you were looking for but there is a lot of Petty merchandise on Amazon.

Honored Contributor

ebay, poshmark, mercari

what is it you are looking for? did you try google lens

Honored Contributor

I just google and sometimes in long sentences.  Last Christmas I discovered a new site looking for a Red Panda watch for my granddaughter.  I was even able to have her name put on the face of the watch.  

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

Please be careful if you use Mercari. I'd purchased several items on there without incident. Then, I started looking at iPhones. The seller had terrific reviews and nearly a hundred people were watching this item. I asked multiple questions about it & took screenshots of the answers, as well as the original listing. So, I took the plunge and purchased for $650. I received the phone on a Friday,, so I didn't go to have it turned on until the following week. Well, the phone couldn't be turned on as it had been reported Stolen through AT&T. Now, I'm stuck with the most expensive alarm clock of all time lol. When I reached out to Mercari to let them know what happened they informed me that they have a 3 day policy. After 3 days there's NOTHING you can do. By the way, he's now considered a verified top notch seller on there!!! 😡

Respected Contributor

Just remember, if it sounds too good to be true it is too good to be true. There are many warnings on the news during the holiday season about scammers. I guess you have to weigh how badly you want something against how badly you'll feel when you're duped.

Honored Contributor

@cheriere wrote:

Please be careful if you use Mercari. I'd purchased several items on there without incident. Then, I started looking at iPhones. The seller had terrific reviews and nearly a hundred people were watching this item. I asked multiple questions about it & took screenshots of the answers, as well as the original listing. So, I took the plunge and purchased for $650. I received the phone on a Friday,, so I didn't go to have it turned on until the following week. Well, the phone couldn't be turned on as it had been reported Stolen through AT&T. Now, I'm stuck with the most expensive alarm clock of all time lol. When I reached out to Mercari to let them know what happened they informed me that they have a 3 day policy. After 3 days there's NOTHING you can do. By the way, he's now considered a verified top notch seller on there!!! 😡

Can you deny the charge to your cc?  

Esteemed Contributor

@beckyb1012  I tried to do that because I used my bank card to pay for it. I really thought Mercari was going to reverse the charge at first, because we corresponded about this for a few weeks. Unfortunately, I now know they were just stringing me along so enough time would pass that the bank wouldn't reverse it! 

Honored Contributor

@cheriere wrote:

@beckyb1012  I tried to do that because I used my bank card to pay for it. I really thought Mercari was going to reverse the charge at first, because we corresponded about this for a few weeks. Unfortunately, I now know they were just stringing me along so enough time would pass that the bank wouldn't reverse it! 

I am so sorry.  Maybe Santa will be good to you, you deserve it.Heart