Honored Contributor

Re: When you were little......

When I look back at 12 years of a Catholic education, 4 of them in all girls high school, I realize that except for Father Virgil, my problem people were secular.

My 9th grade home room teacher was a woman (non nun).

We used to have Mass in the auditorium and with one priest onsite to do the Mass, it fell to nuns and secular people to assist with dispensing of Communion.

I made my first Communion right before Vatican II.  I really loved the traditions prior to Vatican II.

Whenever I would go to Communion, I stood in the priest's line - even if it was the longest, I was in no hurry.

Unbeknownst to me at the time, my homeroom teacher was annoyed that I never stood in her line to receive Communion. 

So one day in home room, she decides to single me out in front of the class to ask me why I won't stand in her line for Communion.  I never wanted to attend this school, I knew no one, and was really quiet and withdrawn. 

So, she calls me out and asks me and I tell her that it was a personal choice on my part.  She pushes for more details and I repeat that it's personal choice and I was not comfortable with her line of questioning.

This woman was like a dog with a bone, she wouldn't let it go.  I felt like I was under the microscope and began to wonder if there was some weird vibe that I put out that made relationships with teachers difficult.  I was in high school and wanted to leave visits to the principal's office behind me, you know?

So she kept at it and finally I said, do you really want me to tell you why I won't accept Communion from you?  She said yes.

I said, in my eyes you are not fit to touch the host.  You work, so you didn't take a vow of poverty.  You are married, so you didn't take a vow of chastity.  The way I see it, you've done nothing to earn the right to dispense Holy Communion.

That shut her up.  That was also my first visit to the Vice Principal's office.  One thing I can say about Sister Hyacinth - she was cool people.  I told her why I was there, what had transpired and she asked me, did you make Communion prior to Vatican II?  I said, yes.  She said, go back to home room.  I said, is this going on my permanent record?  She said, no, you're fine :-)

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

I just thought of another one.  When I was in 3rd grade I think, my little brother (kindergartner) didn't get on the school bus.  I was in a terrible panic and made them hold up all the buses while we looked for my brother.  Finally a teacher said:  "Some of the kindergartners didn't have school today...."    Oh my gosh I wanted to crawl in a hole.  All those buses held up because I forgot he didn't go to school that day.  YIKES>

Super Contributor

@scotttie wrote:

2nd grade.  Teacher moved my desk up against the wall  cuz I was a talker....hard to imagine I know  ;-)

Haha.  I wouldn't have guessed that.

I teach - what's your superpower?
Super Contributor

I'll put a little twist on this and tell you an embarrassing story as a TEACHER.  

The day before, the class had done a math test.  I graded them that night and was baffled as to why almost everyone missed a certain problem.  I was trying to think if I had forgotten to teach it, maybe I taught it wrong, maybe they were all asleep.... So the next day I tell them how disappointed I am in their test scores and that I can't believe they all missed this one problem.  I proceed to go over the problem that almost everyone missed.  I don't even remember what it was at the time, but I started to explain it on the whiteboard while they all just stared at me.  Well, I wasn't very far into my explanation when I realized that *I* was the one who was wrong and they had all gotten it right.  One of the more vocal girls in the class was like "Uh, Miss ****, that's not the right answer."  I started laughing and I'm sure I was beet red.  I apologized and tried to wipe the egg off my face.  Smiley Tongue

I teach - what's your superpower?
Respected Contributor

@brownponytail80 wrote:

I'll put a little twist on this and tell you an embarrassing story as a TEACHER.  

The day before, the class had done a math test.  I graded them that night and was baffled as to why almost everyone missed a certain problem.  I was trying to think if I had forgotten to teach it, maybe I taught it wrong, maybe they were all asleep.... So the next day I tell them how disappointed I am in their test scores and that I can't believe they all missed this one problem.  I proceed to go over the problem that almost everyone missed.  I don't even remember what it was at the time, but I started to explain it on the whiteboard while they all just stared at me.  Well, I wasn't very far into my explanation when I realized that *I* was the one who was wrong and they had all gotten it right.  One of the more vocal girls in the class was like "Uh, Miss ****, that's not the right answer."  I started laughing and I'm sure I was beet red.  I apologized and tried to wipe the egg off my face.  Smiley Tongue

That happened to my dd one night helping my gd with her math.  She made her do it over  and finally told gd what the answer should be.  "Um mom, that's wrong."  GD was right and DD was wrong.  Tee hee.

Trusted Contributor

When I was outside playing, and I'd hear a siren, I'd always run inside and hide.  I had some weird idea that they were coming for me.   I have no clue why.  I was a good kid, didn't get into much trouble.   I probably watched too much crime TV or something.    

I also talked to myself a lot as a kid.  I'd be playing in my yard and pretend I had friends around me (make believe friends like kids do) and I'd talk to them out loud.   

Respected Contributor

One time, when we were having our little snack on the patio of the school I attended, one of the older kids came by and threw up just a few feet away from us.  Oooo, I couldn't eat cookies and milk for a really long time after that - The memory lingered.

Honored Contributor

In 6th grade our nun put a number of fill in the blank science questions on the board.  We took turns writing the correct answers on the board.  My word was absorption.  For some reason I left out a few letters and wrote abortion. Sister went nuts and I ended up in the principal's office.  I had no idea why I was there.  In 1961 I had never heard the word abortion, let alone knew what it meant. My father was called and I was taken home.  For a given time (which I do not remember) I had no recess.  I had to stay inside and clean chalkboards, clap erasers, dust shelves, straighten books, etc.

Esteemed Contributor

When I was little I was scared I was going to go to prison! LOL.

Esteemed Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

In 6th grade our nun put a number of fill in the blank science questions on the board.  We took turns writing the correct answers on the board.  My word was absorption.  For some reason I left out a few letters and wrote abortion. Sister went nuts and I ended up in the principal's office.  I had no idea why I was there.  In 1961 I had never heard the word abortion, let alone knew what it meant. My father was called and I was taken home.  For a given time (which I do not remember) I had no recess.  I had to stay inside and clean chalkboards, clap erasers, dust shelves, straighten books, etc.

That is so weird - to put it mildly!