Honored Contributor

Re: When you were little......

[ Edited ]

Omg... too many to list.

The one that stands out was in 7th grade.  I was one of the few girls who was already menstruating.  We had to change into gymsuits and I asked to use the bathroom, rather than the locker room.  Gymsuits, in those days, were one-piece atrocities.  I accidentally dropped it into the toilet (luckily it was clean water).  I showed the gym teacher, expecting that she would take pity on me, but she told me to wear it anyway.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Bird, I already loved and respected you, but your comments here make me love you even more. You are awesome!
~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@Bird mama post #40 of yours has me rolling on the floor laughing.  : )

I will get creative about my past later... just this... we lived in a Catholic neighborhood and in another town we lived in, 1/2 of my hs classmates attended the Catholic schools in town.  There were always the best stories from a particular few about how they had gotten away with things I would never have dreamed of doing.  One popular boy (who got in trouble a lot for seemingly innocent things) hopped out the window of our public hs and went that day to the zoo.  He said he had never gotten in trouble for it before (during junior high and elementary) so he wondered why it was not OK at this school?

I remember wishing quite a few times that I could have gone to a Catholic school and weren't they lucky?

Then I also have a friend who was raised in the Catholic  way and she was proud that she told her parents "why did they need her allowance when they had gold stuff in the church?"  I'll bet that went over really well.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Ok so when I was little most of my embarrassing moments occurred due to the fact that I had an accent.
In 6th grade, at my new school, the whole class got quiet while saying the pledge except me. When I realized that nobody else was reciting, I stopped and looked at them, puzzled. "We just wanted to hear YOU say it because you talk funny (Tx accent)."
I'd like to mention that I had my share of mean or indifferent teachers. I also had a few that were "mom" stand-ins. They took me under their wings -- I was shy and withdrawn and they just seemed to know this. Probably the reason I decided to teach as my second career. ❤️
Respected Contributor

my whole childhood was weird and embarressing. We were poor and I wore the same clothes almost every day. and, that wasn't bad enough,Mother cut my bangs too short and crooked.

Honored Contributor

@fourpaws... Awww (((hugs)))
Honored Contributor

Fourpaws, my Ma sometimes cut our bangs too.  It always seemed to take place immediately before school pictures.  So, not only did we live with it, the tragedy was captured on film and shared with family.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

I was embarrassed so often as a child I doubt I could even BE embarrassed about anything now, LOL! 

Esteemed Contributor

@fourpaws56 @Bird mama

Oh yeah...those ugly home cut short bangs!!  Worse yet, my hair is curly, and my mom never got the clue that, if you cut curly hair when it's wet, then when it's dry it curls up even shorter!!  AAAccckkk! 

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Esteemed Contributor

Altho I know it's relative, we grew up poor, too (I never knew it 'til much later).  I'm old enough to be able to say that, when I was little, clothing was not a competition or a keeping up with the Jonses kind of thing.  All that mattered was that you were clean and modestly dressed. 

I wore a lot of hand-me-downs and never thought twice about it, until...

I inherited these from my aunt...forced to wear them for several years...endured unrelenting teasing...hated them with a red hot passion...embarrassing much...top these!!!!

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~