QVC Customer Care

Re: When you were little......

This post has been removed by QVC because of the reference to the type of school.

Honored Contributor

We had a surplus of tires on our school playground equipment, because really, who doesn't want to get all black playing on/around a tire.  They were gigantic- bigger than the biggest tractor tire you've seen.

They were even bigger than any of the biggest tires I can find online. 

Anyway, one of the GIGANTIC tires we used primarily for climbing, and of course, it had rained before we went out for recess.  I went out, fearless, climbed the tire, and slipped.  I promptly fell inside the tire, and all of the water and mud that had collected inside the well flew up all over me.  I looked like Swamp Thing.  

Of course, my mom was not home when they called to bring a change of clothes, so my neighbor came with her daughter's clothes.

A tad bit mortifying!

Super Contributor

I comment that it looks like a lot of people went to Catholic schools and it was deleted because we can't talk about certain types of schools?  LOL!  Wut?

I teach - what's your superpower?
Honored Contributor

Another one occurred to me (might have more flashbacks after I open my wine, LOL).

Picture it- 

It's the night before the big kindergarten dance.  For dinner that night, we had some sort of meal that required ketchup (hamburgers?) and I was dispatched to get another bottle from the pantry.  I opened the door, and took out a gigantic glass bottle of ketchup, and promptly dropped it on my bare foot.  

I don't know if they make those large glass ones anymore, but it was kind of like this:

After howling and hopping around, I realized that my shoes would never fit for the dance the next day.  Rather than skip school, I bravely put on my only satisfactory footwear- my Big Bird slipper socks (kind of like these- half sweater/half leather bootie).

I did manage to "dance" although probably not as footloose and fancy free as I would have been.  Let's face it- kindergarteners are not that coordinated, so I was afraid of 24 other kids stepping on my bad toe.  

Honored Contributor

@LyndaGee wrote:

One time, when we were having our little snack on the patio of the school I attended, one of the older kids came by and threw up just a few feet away from us.  Oooo, I couldn't eat cookies and milk for a really long time after that - The memory lingered.

Anyone remember that ghastly pink stuff that looked like sawdust?  When a kid would have an accident ^^^^, they'd sprinkle that pink sawdust on it at my grade school.   (Gag).

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Super Contributor

I had a student throw up on another student this past year ---- some of it got on her face.  *gag*  The sick one went home because he was sick ... the other one went home to take a shower.

I teach - what's your superpower?
Super Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@LyndaGee wrote:

One time, when we were having our little snack on the patio of the school I attended, one of the older kids came by and threw up just a few feet away from us.  Oooo, I couldn't eat cookies and milk for a really long time after that - The memory lingered.

Anyone remember that ghastly pink stuff that looked like sawdust?  When a kid would have an accident ^^^^, they'd sprinkle that pink sawdust on it at my grade school.   (Gag).

That "pink stuff" sounds like the janitors floor sweeping compound. Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

A funny and slightly embarrassing story:

When I was about 5, I was in a ladies restroom with my grandmother. I saw on the wall you could buy a sanitary napkin for five cents. I thought it would be nice for my grandmother to use when she came out of the stall after she washed her hands.  I thought it was a fancy towel! lol

I bought it and handed it to her. She graciously took it and said she would use it later.

When I was about 18 she handed me back that same sanitary napkin box for me to use! I can't believe she kept it all those years. To this day I can still remember how important I felt buying it for her. 

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum
Valued Contributor

I'm still little...
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Lainey1, that is cute!

When I was little and Twilight Zone came on, I'd get scared. I remember seeing "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet," that scared me to death!

When my brother was little and "Medical Center" came on, he would get scared by the opening music, I think he even cried...........