Respected Contributor

Re: When you were a kid or teen, what was on your coffee table, if you had one?

The only tv in the house was in my parents bedroom.

The coffee table was chinese teak, on it was a large rose canton bowl and three carved jade fruits, a persimmon, an apple and a peach. 

Esteemed Contributor

You had a coffee table - you must have been rich. I was born in NYC (lower east side) - Family of 5 lived in an apartment that had 2 small bedrooms, 1 bath and a small kitchen.

When I was 9 yrs old, we moved to Brooklyn and lived in an apartment bldg - 1 bedroom (my sister & I shared a bed); 1 small foyer (my younger brother slept on a couch where u remove the cover); and my parents slept on a fold-out bed in the living room plus a small kitchen.

You could put that apartment in the downstairs of my house in north Oxnard (Calif) and there would be lots of room left over.

Respected Contributor

Hi @kivah , we lived in Brooklyn when my mother was at Columbia, my father was a Rabbi there during that time. We had a one bedroom apartment with tiny second alcove thing that I slept in. When my sister was born I was moved to the dining room. lol. I remember the hurdy girdy(sp) man with his monkey playing under the living room window. We would throw coins to him. I went to an Episcopalian nursery school. I have flashes of memories. ---Now you and I are practically neighbors again.

Esteemed Contributor

@hennypenny wrote:

Hi @kivah , we lived in Brooklyn when my mother was at Columbia, my father was a Rabbi there during that time. We had a one bedroom apartment with tiny second alcove thing that I slept in. When my sister was born I was moved to the dining room. lol. I remember the hurdy girdy(sp) man with his monkey playing under the living room window. We would throw coins to him. I went to an Episcopalian nursery school. I have flashes of memories. ---Now you and I are practically neighbors again.

I don't remember the monkey --- I grew up on Buffalo Ave., Crown Heights, Brooklyn in the 1950s. Surrounded by 3 temples. Small apartments - but all the neighbors knew each other, cared about each other and we didn't know that we were poor!!!! Great memories of the Simple Life.  I'm now 78 yrs young. 

Respected Contributor

@kivah , the monkey gathered the coins.

I am a youngster---you have three years on me--lol.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We didn’t have a coffee table...just end tables...no ashtrays either...smoking was not allowed! The end tables had shelves...for TV Guide, Ladies Home Hournal, Life Magazine. At Christmas, we had a gumdrop tree...on the left end table...and a Hershey kisses tree on the right end table, we were livin’ large!

Honored Contributor

National Geographic which no one actually read. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I'm lucky if I can remember what's on mine now, let alone what was on one 60 years ago.