Super Contributor

Re: When you were a kid or teen, what was on your coffee table, if you had one?

The coffee table in the family room had Sports Illustrated magazines (my dad subscribed to that in the 80s and 90s) , a TV Guide and a few other magazines.

Trusted Contributor

Reader’s Digest, Women’s Day and Sears Catalog.

Respected Contributor

My mom smoked so I remember an ash tray at both ends.

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@sfnative  No coffee table, but next to my Dad's chair was Time magazine, Gospel Herald and walnuts in this:

s-l400.jpg

we did not have this @PA Mom-mom , but i sure do remember seeing it on a lot of cocktail or side tables growing up!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

A big ashtray.  Coasters.

Happy to say my parents quit smoking too!

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@sfnative  No coffee table, but next to my Dad's chair was Time magazine, Gospel Herald and walnuts in this:

s-l400.jpg

we did not have this @PA Mom-mom , but i sure do remember seeing it on a lot of cocktail or side tables growing up!

@sunshine45 

@PA Mom-mom

I sure recognize this.  They must have sold them coast-to-coast.  We had one in our cabin in the Santa Cruz Mtns, just outside of Boulder Creek.  This brings back so many memories.  I miss every single minute at the cabin and all the adventures we had.

Esteemed Contributor

Ash trays, oh my!

I wonder how many are accounted for by our men and women who served in wars and became smokers during their service?  Presently, all branches of the service have terrific smoking cessation programs, as well as programs designed specifically for drug addition.  Was really glad to see this as a civilian employee.  The smoking cessation was offered to us free of charge.  Don't recall re the drug addiction program.

We didn't have an ash tray on our coffee table, but would haul out a really big one when my SF grandfather came over, which wa frequent, as he smoked big green cigars.  That smell!!!  When we went down to the cabin, he would smoke his pipe, which was infinitely better.  His ashtray for that was amber in color and rested in a brushed brass affair, which stood on the floor.  As a kid, I always thought that quite fancy. LOL!

Honored Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

s-l400.jpg

@sunshine45 

@PA Mom-mom

I sure recognize this.  They must have sold them coast-to-coast.  We had one in our cabin in the Santa Cruz Mtns, just outside of Boulder Creek.  This brings back so many memories.  I miss every single minute at the cabin and all the adventures we had.

This was not on our coffee table at home but on my Grandfather's end table next to his recliner even for decades after he passed.  Here in Texas it was not walnuts but always pecans.  His cigarettes, lighter, ash tray and the nut thing.  The only thing he finally put away were the cigarettes and lighter.  Ash tray stayed since he never wanted to forget how much he loved smoking.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

It was a round oak table with a pedestal base. My mom had a neighbor, who was a glazier, make a piece of glass to fit the top. My mom was a neat freak and all her furniture was "protected" in one way or another by something, lol.  She had a round doilie in the center and on top of the doilie was this very ugly (in my opinion) glass flower of some sort.  I don't remember the name of the piece, but it must've been desirable at that time, because I remember my aunt and a couple of other neighbors having something similar.

I have a round pedestal coffee table now, it's a distressed, painted wood.  Unless I'm expecting guests, the only thing on it is books, iPad, laptop.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 

Beautifully written, aroc.  I was picturing the whole scene as I was reading it.  Sounds like a beautiful home.  Very vivid memories of something you obviously loved.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986