Esteemed Contributor

Re: When you were a kid or teen, what was on your coffee table, if you had one?

We never had a coffee table when I was growing up.Mom always said it would only lead to clutter.When we had company she always opened up snack tables & if necessary a folding table.

Now that I have my own home I have a coffee table.Lol!! No clutter though.Just flowers ,coasters & the tv remote.

Honored Contributor

In our house, TV guide was on the end table.

On the coffee table, we had an antique sugar bowl with an arrangement, a wooden bowl of nuts, and magazines including Reader's Digest as far as I can remember. (This was when my dad had remarried and a different house.).

My tv watching was mainly the Sonny and Cher Show and Star Treck.

I came home, had dinner, and went to my room to listen to Wolfman, Ft. Wayne, Indiana did homework and made project boards before they were ever named.  That's when the designing began.  

Respected Contributor

Our coffee table held a large family bible, an ash tray and a carnival glass bowl that had a flower arrangement in it. Times have changed.

Respected Contributor

Probably a large ash tray with a couple of my Dad's pipes in it, the TV guide and a couple of Mom's crossword books. I'm just guessing though, and it really wasn't a coffee table. It was a drum table with storage underneath it that sat between a couple of easy chairs. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

We never had coffee tables when I was living at home.  There were two end tables for lamps.  Mom had a round table in the corner for her cupie dolls.  No magazines whatsoever, except for the teen mags for I would buy and keep under my bed.

Honored Contributor

There was a flower arrangement, an ashtray (my mom smoked), a TV Guide, A Good Housekeeping magazine, Family Circle, and Woman's Day magazines.  Also my dad's Field &Stream magazine.  

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hmmm.  If I remember correctly:

Family Room:

*Baldwin Brass pedestal base that held a glass hurricane and a candle (quite large).

* On one side there were a few cocktail books stacked; same with the other side so there was symmetry though the books were of different sizes.

Living Room:

*Coffee table was actually a tea table so it sat high. On it was my moms' silver tea and coffee set. The tray took up almost the entire table so between that, the tea pot, coffee pot, sugar and creamer, there was no room for anything else .....maybe a 4 level server for tea sandwiches and cookies.....

Respected Contributor

@sfnative   Thank you.  This is a wonderful "walk back along memory lane" topic for me.  The coffee table itself was mahogany with a greek key inlay of gold around the border and a leather inset rectangular center.  It was perfect for this Victorian seven room house.  It held a large cut glass ashtray with the smaller matching ones on the side tables.  

Also gracing that table was a lustreware pale pink covered candy dish with individually wrapped hard candy inside, and a neatly folded (but well read) daily newspaper--always--since my father was a journalist and would bring one home early each morning after "putting the paper to bed".  In the summer an arrangement of my dad's prized roses would be added to this table's landscape. 

For the Thanksgiving and Christmas season a cut glass bowl of nuts and the obligatory matching nutcracker and pics and a fancy box of chocolates--Barracini's or Loft's were added.

The TV Guide would be on the side table near my dad's club chair.  We had those fold up metal TV tables in a stand tucked away and it was a treat on Friday nights to eat while watching TV instead of having a formal dinner in our dining room.

It was the first house my parents owned and I loved it then and now.  The happiest seven and a half years of my life were spent there, from age 3 and 1/2 to age 11.  I still dream of that house and live in it again many nights.

Esteemed Contributor

No coffee table in my home as a child. I still get 4 magazines monthly. 

Esteemed Contributor

@sfnative  No coffee table, but next to my Dad's chair was Time magazine, Gospel Herald and walnuts in this:

s-l400.jpg