Honored Contributor

Re: When you were a kid or teen, what was on your coffee table, if you had one?

I know there was a TV guide, that is all that I can remember!

Respected Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

I know there was a TV guide, that is all that I can remember!

Oh dear I forgot that one!  The beloved TV guide! It was a staple in life. 

Respected Contributor

We had a coffee table in the living room, which was only used for company.  I don't remember what was on it.  The family room was narrow, and we didn't have a coffee table there.  Given the amount of use each room had, it would have been much smarter to have had a large family room and smaller living room!

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

We didnt have a coffee table and were too poor to buy magazines.

I took magazines from the library's garbage bin if I had  something I had to make for school.

When I was a teen I would go to the library to read American Teen and 17 Magazines. Also, National Geopgraphic.

Honored Contributor

My parents coffee table had an ashtray in the center; set of 3 that stacked.   On one side was a snow globe (without snow) that held a perfect red rose.   On the other side was a set of palm size seashells.   Our family Bible was always on the bottom shelf.   

At Christmas, the coffee table held ashtrays, a nutcracker and bowl of mixed nuts, and a dish of hard candies.

Respected Contributor

A small basket of some sort from Home Interiors. That was it, My Mom was fanatic about not having clutter.  A lamp on each end table, which all was dusted daily. 

Honored Contributor

Mom hated the look of magazines displayed on the coffee table; she said it looked like a newstand.  She had a beautiful big round polished cherry coffee table and usually had a live plant (Chinese Evergreen) in an interesting planter on it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

Feet!!  Until my mom would walk through the room and yell "Get your feet off the coffee table!!"  LOL!!

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Mom always had her crocheted doilies on the coffee table. That and a gigantic and ugly ceramic ashtray with a matching lighter and cig box...ugggghhh!

Are we sisters??  My mom was big on doilies, too.

And the ceramic ashtray HAD to be huge, freeform and avocado green, LOL.

Only other thing I remember was a goldfish bowl that fascinated our cat. Cat Wink

Denise
Honored Contributor

@Grouchomarx wrote:

Some coasters and a big old bowl of imixed n the shell nuts and a nutcracker.  I'm not sure what was up with that.  I think cracking nuts was in fashion or something.  We did eat them, it was like entertainment or something.  

@Grouchomarx we only had the bowl of nuts and metal nutcracker and pick on the table from right before Thanksgiving until Christmas.  

It's funny, this reminded me of my sister when she was little, she would get under the table with the bowl of nuts and our dog!  She wasn't strong enough to squeeze the cracker so would give the nuts to the dog to crack!