Esteemed Contributor

When you were a kid or teen, what was on your coffee table, if you had one?

Hi Everyone!

I still subscribe to 2 hard copy magazines & have enjoyed watching the evolution of home decor over the years.

Coffee tables seem to be rather huge these days, perhaps, in part, in keeping with vast sofa combos and new uses and purposes we now find for them.

When I was a kid/teen, we went through 3 sofas, all six feet in length.  Until we went Danish Modern in 1961, we had had the same coffee table since I could recall and it had beautiful inlay work in it.

Always on that coffee table were:  (LOL!)

On the left side (my mother's side):  recent issue of "Look," recent issue of "Life."

In the middle:  "TV Guide"

On the right side (my dad's side): a stack of "National Geographic" magazines; the Egyptian "Book of the Dead;"  under the that book, a larger book (blue) on the history of the Assyrians (don't recall name of book); likewise one on ancient Greek society.  The Romans didn't rate with my dad, so no books about them in our house.

Please share your coffee table with us.

XXX ~ Rebecca

Honored Contributor

Re: When you were a kid or teen, what was on your coffee table, if you had one?

I honestly don't remember what my parents had on theirs. 

My own first coffee table was in college...we used large wooden cable spools for makeshift coffee tables and had supplies for partying if you know what I mean.

Respected Contributor

In our formal living room, which we were not allowed unless company was over! was nothing but a lamp, coasters and an ash tray!!!

In our family room, TV guide, a bowl of nuts in their shells (that I cannot believe our dog never touched!!) and as always an ashtray!!!

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Honored Contributor

large books with photos

magazines

knick knacks from the middle east

ash tray

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Oh, I know what you mean, @haddon9  !!!  good times

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Respected Contributor

It's funny that everyone had ashtrays back then, but now hardly anyone does.  I have a "no smoking" sign on my outside door!

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

Some coasters and a big old bowl of imixed n the shell nuts and a nutcracker.  I'm not sure what was up with that.  I think cracking nuts was in fashion or something.  We did eat them, it was like entertainment or something.  

Honored Contributor

Mom always had her crocheted doilies on the coffee table. That and a gigantic and ugly ceramic ashtray with a matching lighter and cig box...ugggghhh!

Honored Contributor

T.V. guide, Ladies Home Journal, ashtray and a big bowl of apples or oranges.  Replaced at Christmas with a huge log (not stick) of peppermint.  For about a year when I was a teenager Mom put coffee table in storage replaced with a pool table.  All our life she had the "fun toys" at our house so we would stay home and friends would come to our home.  Put back coffee table when the new wore off.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

If it was Friday night     pizza!

other than that I don't remember