Super Contributor

Re: When you were a kid, how did your Mom curl your hair?

I had very very curly hair and my grandma hated it. She would wash my hair with black tar soap, rinse with cider vinegar then French braid it while it was wet. Boy, did it hurt when it dried, pulled my eyes up and sideways. I had the double decker braids also.
Honored Contributor

Foam rollers. Had a couple of home perms that didn't work.

Respected Contributor

This thread is a real trip down memory lane! Dippity-doo, sponge rollers, bang tape, brush rollers (OUCH! I would usually pull them out during the night. My hair was so thick it never dried if I wore rollers overnight anyway)

. Sylvia I never had or saw a Toni doll but I do remember Toni perms.

I never had the pleasure of one of those contraption perms. Just a spec before my time.

I do remember ironing our hair to make it straight. Used a regular ole clothing iron. I also remember the bouffant bubble hairdos and bouffant flips.

Did anyone else wrap their bubble do with toilet paper to preserve it? It didn't work but I tried it anyway.

Respected Contributor

Oh! I just remembered another one. When 17 magazine showed how to use soup cans as rollers to get your hair that nice straight look! Tried it....yeah. Didn't work.

Respected Contributor

On 9/10/2014 scotttie said:

This thread is a real trip down memory lane! Dippity-doo, sponge rollers, bang tape, brush rollers (OUCH! I would usually pull them out during the night. My hair was so thick it never dried if I wore rollers overnight anyway)

. Sylvia I never had or saw a Toni doll but I do remember Toni perms.

I never had the pleasure of one of those contraption perms. Just a spec before my time.

I do remember ironing our hair to make it straight. Used a regular ole clothing iron. I also remember the bouffant bubble hairdos and bouffant flips.

Did anyone else wrap their bubble do with toilet paper to preserve it? It didn't work but I tried it anyway.

It is a real trip down memory lane! I used that pink tape to keep my bangs straight as a teen. It was never strong enough, so I resorted to regular Scotch Tape. OUCH.

I once ironed my naturally curly long hair with a regular clothes iron to make it stick straight. That was a first & last. Using frozen concentrate orange juice cans as huge rollers...

Speaking of bubble dos- for curly haired girls you can extend your nice curl look and avoid bed-head and having to re-spritz hair by tucking your hair into a silk sleeping cap before going to sleep. It works!

Respected Contributor

Fun thread.

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/10/2014 scotttie said:

Oh! I just remembered another one. When 17 magazine showed how to use soup cans as rollers to get your hair that nice straight look! Tried it....yeah. Didn't work.

Yes!!! Did this as a teen, then bought those huge plastic rollers for my long curly hair to help get it straight. I have no idea how I slept on those huge rollers but it seemed worth it at the time!!!!

Super Contributor

On 9/10/2014 MaggieToo said:

Didn't need to roll hair. My hair was naturally curly/wavy.

Ditto: Never had to endure trying to curl my hair.......but trying to straighten it was no fun either.......of course back then my grandmother and her friends were always telling me how very ""lucky"" I was to have curly hair ...........oh well that's the way the cookie crumbles.......
Super Contributor

I honestly don't remember when I was little. I DO know I got a permanent in about the 3rd grade. Cut off my long hair and I looked like Orphan Annie (just not red). I sure didn't want to go to school! In my teens, I would use those brush rollers and sit under the hood dryer all Sat. afternoon. Yuck! I couldn't style it.. It looked awful. Today I am so so so thankful for electric rollers, curling irons and hair dryers and NO permanents (for me).

Super Contributor

Tonett perms (sp). I was excited when my mother showed me the box and the paper dolls that was included. When it was finished I had this ball of frizz and hid every time I saw the box.