Super Contributor

Re: When you were a kid, how did your Mom curl your hair?

On 9/10/2014 LaterGator said:

Oh man, we tried the home perms too. It was awful.

And boy, did those perms STINK!

Honored Contributor

My Mom used bobby pins. She used to put her finger on my scalp, then take a section of my hair and wrap it around her finger, push it to my scalp and secure it with the bobby pin. Or, she would use these pink, rubber thingies that looked like a dumbbell which she rolled a strand of my hair around and when it got to the bottom, she push the two ends together and they looked like little flying saucers.

Yesterday, I was watching some youtube clips on how to curl thin hair with no volume. The way the girls on the clips did it were so similar to using those pink, rubbery things. I wish I could find them now. I don't even know if they are still made.

I was wondering if anyone would know where to find them? Also, how did your Mom curl your hair when you were little?

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

First she attempted pin curls with bobby pins. Hair went straight soon after being brushed out. Then there were the pink foam rubber rollers that left a ridge in my hair from the closing pin or whatever it was called. After those two failures she gave up and put my hair in pig tails so tight that my skin hurt. I took the rubber bands out before I was a block from the house.

By the time I was 8 she had taken me to the beauty shop and had my hair cut in a pixie. I hated it. Sometime in 6th grade I learned how to use brush rollers and tortured myself every night for the next 8-10 years until hot rollers and curling irons were invented.

By comparison, mom went to the beauty shop every week. She never did get the hang of rollers. When she was younger she didn't have to worry-she had naturally curly hair, beautiful waves.

Super Contributor

Thanks, Noel. I found some on Amazon and they are on their way to me.

Honored Contributor

Thanks, Noel. I found some on Amazon and they are on their way to me.

I was just going to ask you if you decided to buy some. I hope you like them.
Super Contributor

I used those brush roller all through HS and beyond. They hurt so bad but my hair looked good in the morning especially after I teased it so high, no one behind be could see at school.

Respected Contributor

Lator Gator's senior photo

Honored Contributor

My hair would not hold any curl so she either braided it or just pulled it back into a ponytail and tied it with a scarf - which never held. My Mom had thick naturally curly hair and I have baby fine straight hair so it always frustrated her. In all my life the only time my hair ever looked really good was during the late 60's early 70s when poker straight long hair was in style.I had mine cut in a point in the back like Cher.

Honored Contributor

On 9/10/2014 NoelSeven said:

My Mom used bobby pins. She used to put her finger on my scalp, then take a section of my hair and wrap it around her finger, push it to my scalp and secure it with the bobby pin. Or, she would use these pink, rubber thingies that looked like a dumbbell which she rolled a strand of my hair around and when it got to the bottom, she push the two ends together and they looked like little flying saucers.

Yesterday, I was watching some youtube clips on how to curl thin hair with no volume. The way the girls on the clips did it were so similar to using those pink, rubbery things. I wish I could find them now. I don't even know if they are still made.

I was wondering if anyone would know where to find them? Also, how did your Mom curl your hair when you were little?

I can imagine what this looks like when you take them out.

Valued Contributor

........like ammonia-----phooey! ---I tried to hold my breath