Honored Contributor

Re: When you think of funerals

[ Edited ]

@Mj12 wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

The funeral announcement (with picture) alone was $520.  We really wanted that and I am glad we did it but I was shocked at how much it cost.

@jubilant I was shocked at all of that too; for us the obituary (no picture) - $450.  Criminal IMO.   I don't recall them asking for a picture.

@Mj12  They didn't ask for a picture.  It was important to my Mom so we went 

ahead with it.  She had one all picked out.  I couldn't say no.  

They had been married 69 yrs.  

Esteemed Contributor

No services for me.  I want my body to be taken to one of the body farms, dress me in something fancy (especially my louboutins), and leave me to the elements and those who watch the deterioration of my body.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Regular Contributor

I hate them really. I just want to be cremated. Burying my body in a box sounds horrible and pointless. Funerals are way too expensive, and I don’t understand the need for them. I know that some people need them, but I don’t. Don’t even care where the ashes go. 

Honored Contributor

Well, I don't believe in 'viewing'.  I don't believe in funerals.  I totally believe in celebrating the deceased life they led here on earth.

Look, when my husband died very suddenly, I had him cremated mainly because we couldn't have the wake we had to wait until the church was available at Arlington National Ceremony (he was in the Honor Guard).  We were married in that church almost exactly 38 years before (as was my daughter) so I felt it was full circle.  Plus he had an Honors ceremony there.

Anyway, it was a very nice ceremony and then everyone went to the club there and we celebrated HIS life.  His former business partner had made (with music) a long video of my husband.  It was wonderful, lots, and lots of pictures from the first year of our marriage.

Everyone ate, drank and talked about all that had happened during those 38 years.  Lots and lots of people were there.  

Everyone told stories about him.  He was a wonderful man.  People came that he'd helped over the years.  People he'd driven to get THEIR cancer treatments.  Lots of business people told about how honest he was.

THAT is what I believe (for want of a better word) a funeral should be.  A few tears, but lots and lots of laughter and stories about the deceased person.  

My husband and I met when we were both 18.  We married within 3 months and it would have been quicker but we couldn't get that same church sooner.

Anyway, I dislike everything about funerals.  I believe people should get together to celebrate the deceased life, tell stories and talk about how much he/she was loved by so many.

I send people cards and flowers all during the year WHILE THEY ARE ALIVE and they can still read them and smell the flowers.

Here's one of my favorite sayings pertaining to this subject: 

My sorrow is not in the loss of the life he had.

But in the loss of the life he could have had.

Honored Contributor

I hate them, and have specified cremation with no services.

Honored Contributor

Our bodies will go to a teaching hospital as soon as we die. After 2 years they are cremated and returned. Our ashes will go in the water in front of childhood home, as did my parents ashes.

Honored Contributor

I have already expressed - no funeral, no ANYTHING.   Just take what parts that can be used to help somebody else and, as far as I care, throw the rest in the trash.

Obviously, the laws don't allow that so I said to just burn it and told my husband that when he gets the box of ashes I have no problem if he throws it in the trash.  Truly.   Although I doubt he will because he still has the two boxes of his grandparents.   Whatever is cool, just no 'thing' and no massive amounts of money spent because I think that's a huge rip off unless you have money to burn.

Esteemed Contributor

After they take my organs, I want to be cremated. I don't want a funeral service or memorial service. Nothing.

Honored Contributor

My brother made the comment that he fears the only time we get together ,will be at funerals. I don't go to funerals, so if he doesn't visit me when I'm alive, forget it when I'm dead. My husband and I are being cremated and will have no funeral service.

Honored Contributor

@Daisy Sunflower wrote:

After they take my organs, I want to be cremated. I don't want a funeral service or memorial service. Nothing.

While I don't begrudge others their feelings, it's nice to see somebody else feels exactly like I on this subject.  Smiley Happy   

I've had people say 'well, what about your survivors and their feelings?'.   Well, first of all I have hardly any of those AND what about - I'm dead now and can I have this one last thing for me?  No funeral, no anything.   Harvest and turn the rest to ash.  It's my body.   That isn't meant to hurt anybody but I would think that reasonable people would understand my wishes and I would give them that same respect.