Respected Contributor

Re: When you stopped sending Christmas Cards...............

@chrystaltree wrote:

Huh??????   Why would I way goodbye, I was not ending the friendships or relationships or running away from home.  I still saw those people, texted, emailed.  I was not on Facebook when we greatly reduced sending Christmas cards but I am now so we send Christmas greetings to everyone via Facebook.  We send a handful of cards to older relatives who live out of state.

I did not literallly mean to suggest saying "Good bye, Carol. This is to let you know you will never hear from me again."

I might write a note saying "Carol, I am not sending Holiday Cards but we think of you all often. Lets's keep in touch be sure you have my email...... And also happy birthday (or give that new grand baby a hug.. blah , blah."

I know a lady with advanced MS that is no longer able to hand address cards and has resorted to FB greetings. I'm thinking of another friend whose husband has dementia. He always sent cards to his college friends and others that she did not really know. She is wondering if she should send cards to his friends saying why you will not be getting cards from Paul any more.

10 years or so we did not get a Christmas Card from an old college friend. We thought it was  an over sight. Next year the same and never again heard from him. He had a serious illness and family tragedy. I would have loved to give my condolences but they chose privacy.

Honored Contributor

@granddi 

I never stop and still send cards-- I mailed mine out after Thanksgiving-I send about 25 cards to family/friends. However, I did drop several people from my list since they havent communicated with me for a couple years now.....But me and my close friends still like to exchange cards, and we write personal notes to just say "thanks for your friendship".....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LindaSal wrote:

I still send them though like others the list has shortened a bit.   I used to send about 50, then it went down to 40, this year it's 27.  I just finished yesterday and will mail them later today.   I usually won't write much inside but at least they know we are thinking of them.

I think it's sad that it's declining so much , but then again I guess people can use email or Facebook as mentioned.  To me, it's just not the same and we are not on FB.

@LindaSal 

I agree, personally sending an email card or FB message just isnt quite the same (although I do understand for some they may not be able to send cards via snail maildue to health or financial situations ). Now another reason I mail cards is some people really appreciate the extra effort it takes of mailing a card...

I do like the art and uniqueness of artist Jacque Lawson and her team that do all occasion cards .....(but I use those for birthdays and other occasions for people that dont go to their mailbox often)....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”