Trusted Contributor

Re: When you quote a proverb, do it right..........

@ms traditional wrote:

The "proof is "  NOT   "in the pudding"  like i hear too much -  the "proof of the pudding is in the eating"  is the proverb. check it out.   i am on a quest to stop this error --- because it is driving me nuts. 

!!!

edited for clarity and  to make MagicMoodz happy!

Well good luck on your quest!

Honored Contributor

I taught court reporting students the basics of English grammar, punctuation, and most important, vocabulary/word usage for more years than I would like to admit.

Without an excellent vocabulary and knowlege of word usage, they simply cannot be in the profession. If they aren't aware that there is a "faze," guess which word they'll key in. I had one student who didn't understand that when I said the word "stage," I was not talking about the platform.

But I digress. I wanted to point out that "alright" has still not gained acceptance by English experts and is especially never to be used in formal writing like transcripts. "Alright is not all right."

As for the topic at hand, I had to laugh because it is, for some odd reason, one of my husband's major peeves; for me, not even up there in the top 100.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3, excellent English vocabulary and knowledge of word use is also extremely important in medical transcription. Medical terminology is only half of it. There were many co-workers throughout my career who simply were not proficient in English because, for one thing, they were not well-read. They had just never come across words like "faze", or discrete vs discreet. 

I once entertained the idea of going to court reporting school. The machines and their shorthand defeated me - but then, I had severe issues with shorthand too. ;-)

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@suzyQ3, excellent English vocabulary and knowledge of word use is also extremely important in medical transcription. Medical terminology is only half of it. There were many co-workers throughout my career who simply were not proficient in English because, for one thing, they were not well-read. They had just never come across words like "faze", or discrete vs discreet. 

I once entertained the idea of going to court reporting school. The machines and their shorthand defeated me - but then, I had severe issues with shorthand too. ;-)

@Moonchilde, court reporting students have to become proficient in medical terminology and anatomy as well a law and legal terminology. It's quite a rigorous program, or should be.

The problem was that many court reporting schools, like all of the ones I worked in, were proprietary. They demanded only a HS diploma -- no entrance test. Don't even get me started; I could write an expose.

So we had primarly students who had either been underserved by their grammar, middle school, and high school or by their environment -- or both. I truly felt for them.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

Unfortunately, I entertained the idea and then followed up on it 😏

Maybe the biggest mistake of my adult life.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tansy wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

Unfortunately, I entertained the idea and then followed up on it 😏

Maybe the biggest mistake of my adult life.  

@tansy, I recall your mentioning that. It really can be an amazing career. The potential salaries are so much higher than most the fields usually taught by proprietary schools, and many were able to pick and choose their cases.

But here in California. the state test for licensing is extremely rigorous, and that's not even mentioning the program itself. My heart went out to those who piled up loan debts for years trying to make it.

And of course the schools' number one concern was?....you got it. Being on the inside, I saw and heard everything; hence, my strong feelings about such for-profit career colleges.

Respected Contributor

I'm kind of confused by this entire discussion.  I didn't think this "saying" was considered a "proverb."

I love all the squirrel antics! 

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 -- Only two young women made it through the private course at the two-year mark.  It might have worked out better if I had attended a CC program but the commute was daunting, especially since I had two teen-aged sons at that time.  

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@suzyQ3 -- Only two young women made it through the private course at the two-year mark.  It might have worked out better if I had attended a CC program but the commute was daunting, especially since I had two teen-aged sons at that time.  

I hear ya, @tansy.

Honored Contributor

As far as the saying in question - I had always, even as a child, understood the meaning of "I could care less" to be "I couldn't care less", and to be ironic.  I grew up hearing a lot of Yiddish translated expressions (though I'm not Jewish, many family friends were), and in our household, "I could care less" was said in that manner. It never occurred to me when young that there was a "proper" way to say it because I always understood the correct meaning.

From etymology dotcom:

"The question is, something caused the negative to vanish even while the original form of the expression was still very much in vogue and available for comparison - so what was it? There are other American English expressions that have a similar sarcastic inversion of an apparent sense, such as Tell me about it!, which usually means 'Don't tell me about it, because I know all about it already'. The Yiddish I should be so lucky!, in which the real sense is often 'I have no hope of being so lucky', has a similar stress pattern with the same sarcastic inversion of meaning as does I could care less."

Life without Mexican food is no life at all