Esteemed Contributor

Re: When you quote a proverb, do it right..........

[ Edited ]

@AuntG wrote:

Yes, I'm sure you say defrost @ms traditional but I'm clearly untraditional. Hubby is trying to break me of the habit.

But if you unthaw something, doesn't that mean it's still frozen???? Most dictionaries describe this as being substandard, sort of like irregardless. The prefix "UN" means not. Thaw means to cause a solid to melt to a liquid. Therefore, if you put a "UN" in front of it, the meaning would be not melted or in fact still frozen.

Esteemed Contributor

1a74a653e9cc458f86ad96d68903d666--funny-music-music-humor.jpg

Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

suzyQ3 wrote:

blackhole99 wrote:

I guess if you are going to quote a proverb or words of a famous person or a quote from a book, movie, or play, you better get it right. Not that most people would know the difference anyway. I think people who quote things from books like to show you how smart and well read they are.

Truly smart and well-read people usually don't need to prove it, @blackhole99. And the act of quoting from a book is not in and of itself a pretentious act. It all depends upon the individual.

@suzyQ3 (and @Moonchilde, too), this reminds me of the threads criticizing and mocking people who have large vocabularies.   Makes me feel sort of sad.sad face

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

I guess if you are going to quote a proverb or words of a famous person or a quote from a book, movie, or play, you better get it right. Not that most people would know the difference anyway. I think people who quote things from books like to show you how smart and well read they are.

Truly smart and well-read people usually don't need to prove it, @blackhole99. And the act of quoting from a book is not in and of itself a pretentious act. It all depends upon the individual.

@suzyQ3 (and @Moonchilde, too), this reminds me of the threads criticizing and mocking people who have large vocabularies.   Makes me feel sort of sad.sad face

@dooBdoo

It is, in a way, expected though - or should be - in the way that people have always (internet having nothing to do with it) criticized and mocked things they don't understand, haven't experienced or just plain don't like. If it's not part of their personal experience, abilities or enthusiasms, it's kwap, in one way or another, and worthless.

Should things be that way? Kind of a moot point in that they often are, whether we wish otherwise or not. And they have been for forever - it's just that on the internet we "have" to let people speak whether we agree with them or not, while in Real Life we usually stay away from those with whom we disagree, so face-to-face we don't run into it as much.

IMO dissing people for being well read, having a good vocabulary and using correct spelling and grammar is just sad, indeed, on more than one level.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all