Honored Contributor

htookRe: When you post about the weather -

@noodleann wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Some people don't feel comfortable giving an area where they live, and they shouldn't be faulted for that.

If this is the case, they shouldn't bother posting about their weather because its meaningless.

People can post what they want, and reveal whatever they feel comfortable revealing.

They don't need to check with you first before doing so, and making sure that it meets with your approval.

@Anonymous032819 

Excuse me?  Please read, I never suggested a poster needed to check with anyone.  I said, and repeat, that a weather report with no location means nothing.  What is wrong with you?

What you said is highly invalidating, @Kachina624 . Of course a poster's weather isn't "meaningless" because she chooses to keep her location private. When someone's describing blustery November weather or sulty tropical conditions, we have no need to know where she is. She's telling us about something that's affecting her. That's enough.

No one needs to know where anyone else lives, works, or vacations. 

@noodleann. I disagree, weather is interesting if its extreme or out of the norm.  I wouldn't pay much attention if someone said it was cold and blustery until she mentioned she was in Southern Florida.   Last week, here in the desert Southwest near Albuquerque, we had a freak storm that took us down to 20° and left 10" of snow at my house.  This would have been of no interest unless I mentioned the location. It would have been meaningless.

There is a reason budding meteorologists spend considerable time studying geography.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Re: When you post about the weather -

@noodleann wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Some people don't feel comfortable giving an area where they live, and they shouldn't be faulted for that.

If this is the case, they shouldn't bother posting about their weather because its meaningless.

People can post what they want, and reveal whatever they feel comfortable revealing.

They don't need to check with you first before doing so, and making sure that it meets with your approval.

@Anonymous032819 

Excuse me?  Please read, I never suggested a poster needed to check with anyone.  I said, and repeat, that a weather report with no location means nothing.  What is wrong with you?

What you said is highly invalidating, @Kachina624 . Of course a poster's weather isn't "meaningless" because she chooses to keep her location private. When someone's describing blustery November weather or sulty tropical conditions, we have no need to know where she is. She's telling us about something that's affecting her. That's enough.

As far as general location and identification of a person, I now know the RL ideneity of one the posters on these boards because she posted enough about herself, her work, her location, and other details that I recognized her because of my activities in a prior life. Major strange coincidence and not something I want to know, and I doubt she'd like it, but it proves it's definitely possible. 

No one needs to know where anyone else lives, works, or vacations. 

@noodleann 

Recognizing who someone really is from interactions in real life isn't  same as being privy to their identifying information, the kind that enables identity theft. That's what I want to guard  against. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

Maine,very windy, makes it feel very cold ,But warming up starting tomorrow.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

If a person is that scared of posting the weather where they live, perhaps they should re think being on the Internet.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's time to make one of those hats out of aluminum foil like in that movie with the aliens.  Mel Gibson was in it. 

If I don't mention something, it's because I choose not to share that info.  If I want to share it, I can.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest wrote:

Maine,very windy, makes it feel very cold ,But warming up starting tomorrow.

@goldensrbest  Oops sorry. Didn't mean to be contrary. Everyone be nice!

Esteemed Contributor

This is an interesting thread!😀 I just commented on another thread about the dreadful weather we are having, and how I was going to take advantage of it, by making something sweet as a surprise for my family. I neglected to share my location, but am now on my way to do just that.😁 

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

It's time to make one of those hats out of aluminum foil like in that movie with the aliens.  Mel Gibson was in it. 

If I don't mention something, it's because I choose not to share that info.  If I want to share it, I can.  

@qualitygal  The movie is Signs.  And it was filmed about 20 miles from my house.... uh oh!

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@qualitygal wrote:

@qualitygal  The movie is Signs.  And it was filmed about 20 miles from my house.... uh oh!

LOL, right!!!  yup that was it.  Now they were hiding in the corn, you don't farm do ya?

Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@qualitygal wrote:

LOL, right!!!  yup that was it.  Now they were hiding in the corn, you don't farm do ya?

@qualitygal  We don't, but I can't tell you how many times I ran through the cornfield willy-nilly when I was a kid. I sometimes had to run to the end of the row to find out where I was!