Respected Contributor

@geegerbee 

Declutter 2020: What have you purged today? is the title of an ongoing discussion within the Home forum here that might inspire you.  It helps me when I get "stuck" and need some motivation.  Even a few things eliminated per day make aa dent in reducing "stuff" we mindlessly accumulate.

Good luck--I'm in the same boat as you from time to time!

aroc3435

Respected Contributor

Re: When you live alone

[ Edited ]

@gidgetgh   good that your stepsons will help, then family and your best friend after that.  I did so well decluttering Jan/Feb, then got out of sync during Covid.  Five months of working at home has me totally so unmotivated to do anything and many places weren’t taking donations. Goodwill, Vets, etc.  Staying safe, but miss some social time even going to work.  

I have just way too much stuff for two people.  But, no feelings to want to buy anything either.  A few purchases since February, besides essentials.  

I think of of you often, and hope you are doing ok.  You had several tough months.  Take care.  Just take it one day at a time.  Your love for your husband really showed here.  I always enjoyed your posts.  

Trusted Contributor

Thanks, I didn't know that. I will go there next.

Respected Contributor

Try calling a Veterans organization. They can always use donations to give to the Vets.

I called them but that was before Covid-19, maybe things are different.

Sincere condolences regarding your loss.

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh 

So sorry to hear of the passing of your husband

0575B323-2400-4125-9D8E-8C3BD796C521.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh 

Again so sad to hear the passing of your husband.

I appreciated your post as I've entered a new "phase of life".  My spouse fell ill end of February, hospitalized for respiratory failure and since then our lifestyle has changed dramatically. 

Your post is exactly what I've been doing for the past 5 months.

Our boys are wonderful sons but I doubt they want a home full of excess stuff (china, linens, tableware, temptations, holiday decorations, kitchen stuff), -- well you probably get what I'm saying😉.   

Since the "stay at home" and knowing he would only be "limited" to what he can do -- I made it my priority to

clean out excess stuff - I have donated or sold "things". You say Tupperware heck I could open a Temptations, Fiestaware, Home Decor, Lock N Lock or cookware store!😳

My spouse is a "simple" guy he doesn't have any excess except for his golf stuff😉.   

The good thing is I haven't shopped or bought anything for the house or "me" related!!  I have Coach bags still in the shopping bag I brought them home in🤷‍♀️🙄.  I'm diligently working on my walk-in closet -- oh that's a big job🙄.  In fact, I don't even have any desire to shop!!

I know I look at things differently since COVID and the changes ahead.  

My thoughts & prayers are with you and your family during this time🌹

Super Contributor

Very sorry for your loss!

Have you thought about selling or donating your excess stuff?  This is the perfect time to really clean house and keep the things that bring you joy.  I love selling clothing items on Poshmark especially and super easy to bring to the post office with a prepaid label.  Good Luck!

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh - Just want to say I'm thinking of you and praying for you. You've been through a lot during a difficult situation in our world. Take care of yourself. (((HUGS)))

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@gidgetgh 

Again so sad to hear the passing of your husband.

I appreciated your post as I've entered a new "phase of life".  My spouse fell ill end of February, hospitalized for respiratory failure and since then our lifestyle has changed dramatically. 

Your post is exactly what I've been doing for the past 5 months.

Our boys are wonderful sons but I doubt they want a home full of excess stuff (china, linens, tableware, temptations, holiday decorations, kitchen stuff), -- well you probably get what I'm saying😉.   

Since the "stay at home" and knowing he would only be "limited" to what he can do -- I made it my priority to

clean out excess stuff - I have donated or sold "things". You say Tupperware heck I could open a Temptations, Fiestaware, Home Decor, Lock N Lock or cookware store!😳

My spouse is a "simple" guy he doesn't have any excess except for his golf stuff😉.   

The good thing is I haven't shopped or bought anything for the house or "me" related!!  I have Coach bags still in the shopping bag I brought them home in🤷‍♀️🙄.  I'm diligently working on my walk-in closet -- oh that's a big job🙄.  In fact, I don't even have any desire to shop!!

I know I look at things differently since COVID and the changes ahead.  

My thoughts & prayers are with you and your family during this time🌹

@homedecor1 - I'm sorry to hear about your husbands health struggles. And I agree with everything in your post. Take care. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@minimalistWF wrote:

Very sorry for your loss!

Have you thought about selling or donating your excess stuff?  This is the perfect time to really clean house and keep the things that bring you joy.  I love selling clothing items on Poshmark especially and super easy to bring to the post office with a prepaid label.  Good Luck!

@minimalistWF - I'm actually a major declutterer. I donate what I can't use and also sell at a local consignment shop. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?