Esteemed Contributor

Re: When you go to the beach

For those that are beach people, may you always have a shell in your pocket and sand in your shoe!

20170120_140424.jpeg

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

I pick up shells and rocks.   I don't do crafting, though, so it might be a bit pathetic.  I just like shells and rocks!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I still have some favorite shells and some sand dollars.

My favorite one is a big beautiful grey conch.

some of my favorite memories are going to Sunset beach at Cape May Pt(my father had a beach house there a block from the oceanSmiley Happy and we would collect Cape May Diamonds

that people would polish in a tumbler and then cut to look just like diamonds.Sunset Beach sold them polished, cut and put into jewelry and all kinds of beautiful cut stones.

They are always opaque, some with a yellow tinge, some with a pink tinge but mostly clear and all pretty small.

But they are only found at Cape May esp the Point.

We also found empty horseshoe crab shells and the empty conch like things that could be used for necklaces.

I also collected weeds-Queen Annes Lace and all kinds of what I thought were beautiful weeds and decorated my room with them all.

And so many wonderful and interesting surprises to find, but also to be near one of the most beautiful beaches in the world.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

@Yahooey wrote:

@Lucky Charm@shoptilyadropagain

ewww large tongue - I'm glad it shut its door on me than coming out to say hello. Since I'm only thigh deep (5'1") and at low tide, these are the sizes available to me. I was just excited to fine something alive. 

To find large ones that you can hear the ocean, you must be a diver.

@Yahooey The two large ones I have were given to me.  The smaller ones I found on the beach or when wading along the shoreline using my shell net.  That's about as deep (well, maybe up to my knees) as I get in the ocean.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

(thread title)

Beach? Last time I was on a real beach was in 1947, in Corpus Christi Texas. Used to be a few simulated beaches here, but the Midwest in our area, not many beaches. 

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

last year at beach was looking thru sand in water for some shells and came up with  a whole live clam and realized there not hard to find. i came home with a bucket full.since then everytime i go i look for clams. just cant in high tide . to deep to look for them so now i go by watching when its low tide.

Honored Contributor

The Atlantic is across the road from us.  I walk the beach whenever possible.  I've collected tons of shells here and on island vacations.  Back in the day, the large ones became (outdoor) summer ashtrays. Very few on my shells were used for anything.  Most were eventually tossed.

There is nothing like the salt air and the sound of gulls, early in the morning.

Honored Contributor

No, but my girls sure did when they were young.  I have a feeling some of those shells are still in this house somewhere.   We also never made a trip to the beach that my youngest daughter didn't come home with several hermit crabs; none of which were ever successful in their molting process.   

Honored Contributor

If anybody likes polished colored stones for filling something just to look pretty - I got a few orders of these from Amazon -  They are so pretty and many of them are opalescent in nature.  

I have a shell-shaped dish that sits on my dining room table and I filled it about 2/3 of the way up with these.  I love them!

• ZUINIUBI 500 Pebble for Aqurium Fish Turtle Tank Landscape bottom decoration Colorful opal glass Sand stone rocks glass ornament
Trusted Contributor

Love shell hunting.  I have a large glass candle holder that I've been trying to fill the base with tiny shells.  I have some, but I want more.  Hopefully I'll get to the beach this year.  I only live 45 min. away, too!