Super Contributor

@Biftu   I don't see how you could stop gift giving without an explanation as it would create weird feelings between you and the neighbors.  The girls most likely look forward to receiving you gift and to stop cold turkey would be cruel. 

Respected Contributor

Re: When to Stop Gifting

[ Edited ]

@shoptilyadropagain wrote:

I went through this with my great nieces and nephews and now have great great nieces and nephews.  I give them $$$ for their birthday and a gift card for Christmas but once they turn 18, I stop with the b'day & Christmas gifts.  

I also like the idea of a family gift at Christmas.  I've done this in the past and have given a gift card to our local movie theater.

FYI.............."a family gift?" What if you don't like the family? Only have given the child? Not everyone likes everyone in a family.

Honored Contributor

@1Professor wrote:

@Biftu @LTT1  + all

Can we all remember BOOKS, please.

Gift certificates to a family are NEVER gifts to the girls. The family probably isn';t money-needy. More fun, typically, to give to children.

BOOKS! A book gift certificate to the local BOOKSTORE (better than an online thing) sends them to each search for their own. One certificate for each girl. It supports the local bookstore (or nearest bookstore). 

@1Professor.   This is just for you and I couldn't agree more.

Screenshot_20230826_200521_Facebook.jpg

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: When to Stop Gifting

[ Edited ]

No to gift cards. Many are never used and others come with the burden of having to go somewhere, do something, or add money to them to cover the cost of dinner, tip, or purchase.

Instead of a gift card, aka cash with strings attached, just give the cash in a card with a hand written note.

As to a shared gift, what would appeal to the youngest, wouldn't to the oldest.

It seems to me that you failed to consider long term when you began giving gifts, and now you're committed to continuing, although you can reduce the amount spent per gift over time.

Honored Contributor

Since the parents are helpful to you, and since you are included in what seems like several gatherings each year, I wouldn't stop giving gifts to the kids.  

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Biftu  My suggestion would be to switch from gifts to somewhat minimal gift cards to a store you know they might like or even to say Target, where pretty much everyone can find something they want or need. My own thought is that to stop gifting cold turkey will seem a bit harsh and lead them to wonder if they did something wrong.

Dare I say it... Amazon gift cards.... Smiley Very Happy

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Costco and Corner Bakery have cakes nicely wrapped for giving every holiday season. They are great as a family gift since all can enjoy and some prefer a prepackaged cake rather than a homemade one. Also consider adopting an animal at your local zoo in their name. It can be for the whole family or individually. They send a certicate with their name on it. Our zoo does the adoptions even for a small amount. We had a star named for our grandson one year. He is into astronomy so he loved it. 

Respected Contributor

"Prepackaged cake?" No thanks!

Trusted Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

Since the parents are helpful to you, and since you are included in what seems like several gatherings each year, I wouldn't stop giving gifts to the kids.

I agree with the above.

However, I'd choose to do either Birthday or Christmas gifts for the kids - No explanation needed, unless they ask (which I doubt they would)

I think they will get the hint that you are scaling back, and hopefully appreciate what you are able to do instead.

Valued Contributor
Maybe you can give them each a gift card inside a nice card It doesn’t have to be for a large amount of money