Super Contributor

@Biftu   Is this the same neighbor that painted their house the same color as yours?

Esteemed Contributor

@yamma024 wrote:

@Biftu   Is this the same neighbor that painted their house the same color as yours?

@yamma024  No.  The house painters are new neighbors.

Respected Contributor

@Biftu   I promise you teens love books, just not the ones we imagine. Their fav celebs/musical stars all have books out. Makeup books are gorgeous photo books. 

PLUS!!! Every book store sells music. Done!

Honored Contributor

My thought is  your lucky you have such nice neighbors,to be included in their gaterings ,i think is wonderfull, i would give the girls gift cards.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

My family had an all-time "RULE" that gifting ends after the 18th birthday.

Of course, this does NOT mean among members of your immediate family.

But it does let aunts, uncles, cousins, godparents "off the hook" unless they wish to give a private "personal" gift to a person.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Biftu  My suggestion would be to switch from gifts to somewhat minimal gift cards to a store you know they might like or even to say Target, where pretty much everyone can find something they want or need. My own thought is that to stop gifting cold turkey will seem a bit harsh and lead them to wonder if they did something wrong.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@1Professor wrote:

@Biftu 

I'm actually studying the stresses and strategies of gift giving (and receiving!).

One lovely TRANSITION (seems needed here rather than abrupt stop) is to stop the birthday gifts (which is now burdensome to you) but give the kids a family gift at Christmas.

Games, crafts, things to make are appreciated by girls (especially popular is bracelet making kits FYI). Fun craft projects the girls can share with others would be something you could do each year (not having to come up with novel ideas for each girl).

I agree because my grandkids are getting expensive to give gifts to as they get older. My DGD is getting to an age where she admires what I wear... while flattering, not what imam ready for lol

My DD has said that as gift suggestions, she would appreciate ie: tickets 🎟️ for activities to take them to; craft projects they can work on to keep them busy are two I can remember.

Kids collect so many sets that leave the house messy; I can relate.

I really like the idea of a family gift as a transition! It seems that your generousity of giving a check to the husband should really suffice.

this next door neighbors are not family don't you think there are different guidelines ? 

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Biftu  My suggestion would be to switch from gifts to somewhat minimal gift cards to a store you know they might like or even to say Target, where pretty much everyone can find something they want or need. My own thought is that to stop gifting cold turkey will seem a bit harsh and lead them to wonder if they did something wrong.

@stevieb wrote:

could work 

Respected Contributor

I think you just need to simplify. 

Birthdays - $1 per age (ie turning 10 = $10)

Depending on what you've been buying, this might be cheaper in the long run and they can choose their own gift or save it.

Christmas - a gift card to a local dessert spot/restaurant/activity center (ie ice skating rink) for the family to go to. This gives them memories which last longer and are more meaningful. Just wrap it cute (ie put in a jar or box with candy - 'thanks for being such sweet neighbors').

Respected Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

Agree with you about not stopping cold turkey.

Just a caution though that some people don't patronize certain businesses any more so staying away from those might be best.